Front Driveshaft Inner Joint

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Front Driveshaft Inner Joint

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm

My offside front driveshaft inner boot has perished and deposited grease over the surrounding area.
I've got an SKF driveshaft joint kit on order : https://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/12273114
And also just a boot kit : https://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/14583 in case I decide the bearings are all fine. I'll probably do the whole joint though, because I can.

Has anyone done this job? How hard is it?

I am assuming it'll be :
* remove the lower balljoint,
* undo big driveshaft bolt
* disconnect outer end from hub
* then remove inner shield and undo driveshaft bolts
* And I guess the joint is just circliped on at the inner end?

I'll do the upper arms and balljoints at the same time since they need doing and I'll get some Xanax prescribed in advance. Which reminds me, must order the pinch bolts.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

gaz pat
Neutral

Re: Front Driveshaft Inner Joint

Post by gaz pat » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:22 pm

I have & your assumptions are all correct, the lower ball joint though can be an unbelievable pain in the arse.
I think you can pull the cv joint off by putting the driveshaft bolt back in and doing it up...i haven't tried it though.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Front Driveshaft Inner Joint

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 pm

Thank you. I've had the lower rear balljoints apart before to replace those wishbones - I have a balljoint splitter I modified to fit. Hopefully that will be sufficient.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”