4th Gear

Re: Coil packs

Post by Foxmeister » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Lander91 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm
Foxmeister wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:22 am
That’s the kitchen Lander, no women in my house to nag me anymore :wink:

No, haven’t done the swap as I don’t have a code reader and it’s a lot to strip and assemble etc, tbh the coils aren’t as expensive as I expected so cheap enough to have a bash, if it’s not that I’m definitely snookered anyway
Kitchen, workshop, bathroom, bedroom.. either way I like your style! Get a bottle of Classic Laddie in there to even out the colour palette.
Good call, I’ll be due a wee stock up order soon so I’ll add one then 👍🏻

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:40 pm

So new coil pack arrived, another airbox strip down (becoming an expert in that recently) and all built back up, worrying turn of the key confirmed my fear… still missing, oh the rage :x

Had a quick gander under the bonnet (hood for the yanks :wink: ) to see how twaty I can be and in the hope I would find inspiration… hadn’t plugged the coil in… luckily I could squeeze the fat fingers in without stripping anything down again and got it locked on, turn over again and it’s now running sweet… ish

The EML is still on, expected that to clear with new coil, even took it for a wee spin but it’s still there and I don’t have a means of reading it, this might be time to finally give in and buy Vagcom I suppose. Something to note, there was a relatively loud tick when first running the car, potential a sticky injector, could this kill a coil pack if so? Also, can you monitor flow rates with Vagcom so I could eliminate that or identify if there is a further issue here?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:55 pm

It won't clear on its own. It might clear after a few runs without fault present. Can't remember the DTC strategy for that fault.

Just one tick?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:42 pm

When did you you last run it? If you’ve not run it for, say, a month then sometimes the lifters bleed fully down and one may stick a little until you take it for a run and get everything warm. You can get it to unstick on the driveway, but really, you want everything up to operating temperature properly as quickly as possible - so a bit of load helps this.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:42 pm
When did you you last run it? If you’ve not run it for, say, a month then sometimes the lifters bleed fully down and one may stick a little until you take it for a run and get everything warm. You can get it to unstick on the driveway, but really, you want everything up to operating temperature properly as quickly as possible - so a bit of load helps this.
Your right Matt, I’ve heard it before and expected it to be lifter so it’ll likely be the same, hasn’t run since Nov so definitely drained down, I was just thinking cos the light stayed on it might be still an issue with cylinder 2 and put 2 and 2 together, got 6 🙄

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:31 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:55 pm
It won't clear on its own. It might clear after a few runs without fault present. Can't remember the DTC strategy for that fault.

Just one tick?
Good to know, I’ll give it time then

Just one tick???

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm

You said you heard a tick. You didn't say you heard ticking. Maybe I'm being pedantic.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:39 pm

I can't find the strategy for the misfire MIL. Maybe it won't go until explicitly cleared and I'm getting confused with the BMW DTCs which disappear when the fault is no longer present after so many consecutive runs.

I can't believe you've had an RS6 all this time and not had a Vagcom. You should at least get a generic diagnostics reader than can clear fault codes. Even the shareware version of Vagcom can do this, IIRC.

/Or something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANCEL-Volkswag ... 115&sr=8-5

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:41 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm
You said you heard a tick. You didn't say you heard ticking. Maybe I'm being pedantic.
Sorry, yes it was ticking on initial start up when cold, it had t run for a couple months at that point

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:42 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:39 pm
I can't find the strategy for the misfire MIL. Maybe it won't go until explicitly cleared and I'm getting confused with the BMW DTCs which disappear when the fault is no longer present after so many consecutive runs.

I can't believe you've had an RS6 all this time and not had a Vagcom. You should at least get a generic diagnostics reader than can clear fault codes. Even the shareware version of Vagcom can do this, IIRC.

/Or something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANCEL-Volkswag ... 115&sr=8-5
I know, cheap ass, I need to get it looked into now, I’m on it

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:29 am

I got a knock off VCDS cable from Ali express. You can't update the software it comes with but the c5 is covered. Also I use an old air gapped (wifi off) as the software probably has a virus in it, but it operates perfectly, even hooks up to my s8 without issue. Cost about $60nzd including postage.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:35 pm
I’ve got hella ones in from ECP. They have been fine.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/hella-413440400
I realise I lied. Hella must have been another car. I have Bremi coils in the RS - noticed yesterday while changing the plugs. For NGK PFR7Q, obvs.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

MattyVRS6
2nd Gear

Post by MattyVRS6 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:46 am

Hi all,

Accelerated earlier and got the rough running along with flashing cel. I've just done a scan (couldn't go to sleep thinking about it).
20230228_232843.jpg
Is this a new coil pack needed?

P.s the SAI has been removed by previous owner. Not sure how to tell VCDS it has.

Cheers!

hahnmgh63
1st Gear

Post by hahnmgh63 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:20 am

Also, be careful about good deals on NGK or Denso plugs on Ebay or Amazon, they're both known to be culprits of selling a lot of Chinese knockoffs. NGK on their website even has a page dedicated on how to tell an OE NGK plug compared to a knockoff. Doesn't seem to as big of a problem with Bosch, at least for now. Same goes with many parts on either, Brake rotors from China are another problem, poor castings warp easily.

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:04 am

Do the age old test, swap #2 with another cylinder and see if the code jumps to that cylinder.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”