New RS6, new gearbox issues [SOLVED]

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
d-9
Neutral

New RS6, new gearbox issues [SOLVED]

Post by d-9 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:00 pm

Rejoining after a long absense, just picked up a '03 RS6 which had a new gearbox from audi within the last 4k. In general I'm really happy with it, but it sometimes seems to slip going 1st-2nd, the revs rocket up and then it goes into gear with a bang.

Theres no fault codes showing, but one odd thing is that theres no throttle percentage showing in the transmission measure blocks, instead it shows as 0% regardless of the throttle angle. Is this normal for a RS6?

Any recommendations for a RS6 gearbox expert, preferably Bristol/Birmingham/Oxford area?

EDIT: This is now solved. The issue was a cracked gearbox filter strainer.
Last edited by d-9 on Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: New RS6, new gearbox issues

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 pm

Sounds mechanical. I’d start by checking the ATF level.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

d-9
Neutral

Re: New RS6, new gearbox issues

Post by d-9 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:34 pm

I forgot to mention, the ATF level is correct, both me and the garage have checked it, its kinda golden clean and doesnt smell burnt.

d-9
Neutral

Re: New RS6, new gearbox issues [SOLVED]

Post by d-9 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:42 pm

After dropping the gearbox sump and valve body to replace the high pressure metal pipe for the 2nd gear clutch, I noticed the filter/strainer was cracked, pretty much directly below the intake into the valve block. My theory is when under cornering/acceleration, the oil would have been towards the back/side of the gearbox sump, and the gearbox pump would have been sucking air through the cracked gearbox strainer.

After fitting a new strainer & o-ring, carefully making sure it was seated fully before torquing the bolts up and putting it all back, it is now driving as it should. Theres none of the slip when pulling out of junctions briskly, and generally its driving very well - I did a 100miles across welsh a/b roads on monday and the gearbox worked perfectly.

Is it possible to upload photos here?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: New RS6, new gearbox issues [SOLVED]

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:57 pm

Yeah. Easy enough to upload photos. Use the “Full editor & preview” button.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”