Range Sensor Warning Light

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Range Sensor Warning Light

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:01 pm

Great - as I put my foot down to overtake someone earlier, the headlight range warning light came on.
Anyway, as part of my duty to the forum to find good quality alternate suppliers, I have a pair of ridex sensors on order that come with the plastic arm & the wishbone bracket.
Total price, massively less than audi! I will report back on the quality. https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/16593115
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

itreallyisRob
Neutral

Re: Range Sensor Warning Light

Post by itreallyisRob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm

I've recently just had this warning light, be interested to hear your findings!

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:14 pm

I've not actually plugged VCDS in to double check, but given it was as I put my foot down, it seems quite likely a sensor. And they are a bit of junk plastic, so I've ordered a pair to do both ends.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Nice find. Looks the part.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

simonmcc
1st Gear

Post by simonmcc » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:22 pm

Is that the bit at the wheel end of the equation, to measure suspension movement? I’ve noticed my head lights dance around a lot on rough surfaces & wondered if this was normal or a sign that the sensor is on it’s way out?
Fun: 2004 RS6+ Avant, Daytona Grey, Bilstein B14, Milltek.
~Fun: 2016 A6 Avant S-Line, Daytona Grey, fake-Black Edition (dechromed)
!Fun: 2012 Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI CR 4x4

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:55 pm

Most likely your headlamp has become unhinged. The headlights are a bit fragile.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am

While I was doing the upper arms recently, I also took the opportunity to fit the new front sensor. Annoyingly I forgot to take a pic.

Observations:
1. The sensor and components all look decently made
2. For front fitment, you have to reuse the existing bracket that's on the car. This is easy, just unbolt the unit from its supplied bracket and bolt it on to the car bracket
Don't be fooled, at first glance the bracket it comes with looks like the one on the car - it's not. So I want to all the aggro of removing the one on the car to rivet on the shiny new one - to then remove it and put the original back on.
3. The bracket for the arm, when done up, does have up to 3mm of possible movement vertically, albeit it's clamped on to the arm.
However the OE one had no possible movement, so I made a small packer to go under the clamp such that it cannot move at all.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”