New RS6 C5 owner car issues please help.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Fil3807
Neutral

New RS6 C5 owner car issues please help.

Post by Fil3807 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Recent new owner of a 2003 RS6 C5 Saloon with 148k on the clock.

There are already a few issues that have now come to light and I am in dire need of some advice and knowledge regarding the current issues.

Consists of 3 main problems:

The car runs and drives very well however it does have a whine (simular to a supercharger) when reving or driving, Any suggestions as to what this is?

The central locking only un-locks the drivers door (have to put key in the ignition to stop hazards flashing)......

and

The gear selector gets stuck in PARK almost everytime I get in. I have to take the key out and then back in until the shift-lock releases....

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks Phill

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: New RS6 C5 owner car issues please help.

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:58 pm

Whining (if you’re sure it's not coming from turbos): check your ATF level. If it’s low then the pump will cause cavitation. If the ATF strainer has been replaced maybe the wrong version has been put in. The one with the longer pick-up pipe. This would mean that there’s not enough space between the pipe orifice and the sump causing… cavitation.

Or maybe it’s a belt noise. Doesn’t sound very serious.

Central locking: possibly your car has water ingress from pollen filter due to blocked drain. This causes the CCM to swim and it doesn’t like it. Lift the carpet in front of front seats to see if there’s water in there. Check your drains and pollen filter seal.

Vagcom will help you diagnose central looking issues further.

Gear selector sounds like a sticky shift lock solenoid. Remove the knob and gaiter and you can see the white plastic solenoid thingy that retracts when you press the brake pedal. Mine started doing this recently. It’s a proper faff to remove the solenoid but I sorted mine by cleaning with isopropanol, compressed air and the copious silicon lube. Works ok now.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:00 pm

To clarify, I didn’t remove the solenoid, I cleaned it from the top after removing the gaiter. Obvs much better to remove and clean but you have to drop the exhausts and selector box.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:01 pm

Whining could be power steering pump, too. Check the fluid level first.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:01 pm

Also FON.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 am

Yes I had a really bad whining a long time ago.
I think it was my wife.

On a serious note. As Shop says check the power steering fluid level.
My problem was leaking power steering hoses. They leaked which emptied the level in the reservoir.
Causing a awful loud whine.

Fil3807
Neutral

Post by Fil3807 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 pm

Thank you to everyone for your advice, to clarify recent events:

First off I am not a mechanic but know my cars reasonably well, new to the C5 RS6.

The car appears to be whinning from the aircon pump or close by (maybe the pully next to the aircon???) I personally think its the aircon pump bearing if thats feasable?

The alternator does'nt appear to be noisy passenger side more middle to drivers side but as said I could be wrong as I'm not a professional.

Power steering reservoir is full???? still heavy-ish steering - but still can hear the pump when turning like normal.

Gear selector was removed and shift lock solenoid was checked and moved around a bit to check freedom of movement and was ok! used a touch of WD40 and has been fine since ..... hearing the shift-lock click everytime I use the brake pedal.

Regards Phill

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:15 pm

The PS pumps are one of the problem areas, it will make a hell of a noise when you go full lock against the stop. Turn the AC off when you do this to see if any changes occur in the sound.

Fil3807
Neutral

Post by Fil3807 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:19 pm

Lander91 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:15 pm
The PS pumps are one of the problem areas, it will make a hell of a noise when you go full lock against the stop. Turn the AC off when you do this to see if any changes occur in the sound.
Can you kindly tell me exactly where the Power Steering pump is located at the front of the engine?

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:03 am

Standing at the front bumper and looking at the engine it's on the lower right side, above the AC compressor. You can follow the large pipe of the PS fluid reservoir directly to it. When the car is running have a look in the reservoir with a torch/light to see if the fluid is aerated (lots of small bubbles). As a general point of advice, I've been told to maintain a fluid level at ~15mm above the max fluid mark. Having had issues with my PS pump I've done this and it has helped.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:50 pm

I recently had a whining noise which turned out to be the drive belt idler pulley.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141505&p=957867#p957867
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm

"Can you kindly tell me exactly where the Power Steering pump is located at the front of the engine" ?

Hope these photos help.
I'm not a mechanic but my nephew is and he's done this for me.
Recently replaced (again PAS pump) with TRW one (from Auto doc)
Flushed through the fluid several times until clear ( 5 litres)
Also bearing and pulley ( which were not availiable according to a couple of specialiasts I use !) Note the bearing was fairly cheap but first one from auto doc poor quality, got a second one elsewhere, but not sure it was any better than the oem with 90K miles!
Found bearings on A/C compressor ( just below PAS pump) noisy, and was noisy in cabin too so replaced that ( ignore the doesn't fit your car on screen shot - it does & looks identical).
Also replace the drier. This was a struggle to find, but got one from German ebay. Recharge by mobile a/c engineer - works brilliantly.

Hope this helps - I'll do aseperate post with more info once the car has been road tested,
Attachments
tempImagez0Uagd.gif
Power steering pump
E15E94BA-D29C-47E7-945C-D69066779439.jpeg
bearings / pulley
EF3D8E22-F39A-4D3C-8B3D-0480558D537A.jpeg
a/c drier
5B342574-4E6C-4973-A54D-B0C3A7C29CAA.png
a/c compressor
tempImagewx8OS6.gif
pas pump

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:58 pm

I know I'm late to the party but maybe it can help.

Red is the PS pump and green is the ac compressor.

Also, that's how the serpentine belt is routed Image

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Fil3807
Neutral

Post by Fil3807 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:55 pm

Astrosquirrel wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:58 pm

I take it that this is not an easy job to replace the AC or PAS pump aswell as the tensioners and belt? .... Is it a case of entire front of the car off etc?

Im disabled but quite competent and my mechanical knowledge is ok but will struggle with one hand etc....

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:04 pm

Fil3807 wrote:
Astrosquirrel wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:58 pm

I take it that this is not an easy job to replace the AC or PAS pump aswell as the tensioners and belt? .... Is it a case of entire front of the car off etc?

Im disabled but quite competent and my mechanical knowledge is ok but will struggle with one hand etc....
In my humble opinion you'd be best removing the lock carrier. That make it doable.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”