Pinch Bolt

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Pinch Bolt

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:16 pm

So my car got an advisory today for the upper front bushes. Spoke to the tester and he said they actually need doing.
Which will mean the pinch bolt needs to come out. I don’t think it’s ever been out, consequently I know it’ll be a bugger.

What the definitive way of getting them out without causing any collateral damage?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Pinch Bolt

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:26 pm

Seems like laser tools have a "thing" to use an air hammer : https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/58 ... pc-for-VAG
Or we have the OEM tool, which is competitively priced : https://autohaus-krammer-shop.de/werkze ... er-neu-ovp

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:51 am

I do like the satisfaction of using a special tool designed for the job, even if I use it only once, which is almost always the case.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:06 am

Agreed. I bought over a grands worth of tools so I could rebuild the gearbox on my boat. Used once, as you say.
Pretty crappy warranty on the job though, the bloke that did the rebuild is a bit of a dickhead apparently. (That would be me!)

If that laser tool is decent, I'll do that. What I would hate to do would be get the audi proper tool and then find it's seized on so badly I break the tool and end up using the laser one & air hammer anyway. But I generally find laser tools poor, so unsure if it'll really be up to the job and audi tool is the only correct way.

So am hoping someone has some experience to share that I can learn from. If not....I'll write another DIY guide...
Last edited by Mɐʇʇ on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:17 am

Maybe someone who is going to Unit20 soon could ask Grizz?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:23 am

Yes, that would be appreciated

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:57 am

Might be something in here:

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/Extr ... ols/629167

I'm sure they did a machine for loosening things that can't be loosened any other way. My Italian rust bucket garage had one and they loved it as it meant not spending hours swearing at stuck bolts.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:26 am

Snapon carry it, but it's actually made by Klann
https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetai ... d=30160108
It's also very competitively priced. :roll:
Last edited by Mɐʇʇ on Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Worth checking Fleabay in case there is one on there.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Agreed, I'm not going to do it immediately, so I will keep an eye out for a used or NOS one popping up.

gaz pat
Neutral

Post by gaz pat » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:10 pm

I was in the same situation a few months back as i was planning to change all control arms, drop links, top mounts etc.
I spent ages fretting, looking for a tool, watching YouTube videos on how to remove the pinch bolt. In the end i bought some plusgas and soaked the bolt every couple of days or so for a few weeks. When it came to removal it just slid out very easily.
I'm not sure how much the plusgas helped but the bolts and arms looked to be the original ones, the bolt shafts were very clean though.
It may be worth jacking the car up, loosen the nut then just see if the bolt will turn. If it does you're in luck, if not....well....you're not.
Good luck.

Riggs
1st Gear

Post by Riggs » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:48 pm

Hi Matt

I’ve done loads of these and tried various special tools !!! And various different methods. I have the Laser tool you put the link up for and it’s not worked yet.
What we do is remove the hub assembly from the car pop the ball joints out of the arms(break them) then we apply a small amount of heat to the area and work the bolt as best you can. What tends to happen if you use the Laser tool or a punch etc it bends the bolt so it gets well and truly stuck which in some cases snaps the top of the hub which means F**k new hub as we all
know. You could try an induction heater tool they seem quit good and not as aggressive as a torch.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 am

Thank you. :)
And the OEM tool - deos it do the job? Am happy to buy it if it makes the job a lot easier - but don't want to waste the £ on it if it's not really fit for the job.

Riggs
1st Gear

Post by Riggs » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:49 am

Hi Matt

I’ve never used the genuine tool but I don’t think I would waste my money on it given my experience with this job I’d just do as above and spend my money on something else for the car 🤣🤣

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Horror story !
This was the last time I used a local garage.
Was having upper and lower arms replaced.
I requested genuine parts be used.
Later found out that cheap and nasty upper control arms they supplied and installed were not up to the job.
Car felt awful with cracking and squeaking every time I turned the steering wheel.
Must of taken the car back to them on at least 10 occasions. Every time I was told they couldn’t find a problem.

So off I went for my first visit to unit 20.

Wrong arms installed. Plastic bushing in the arms was smashed to pieces.
Both hubs were knackered from the amount of hammering.
The tapered holes in the hubs were severely distorted and out of round due to the excessive hammering. So bad that grizz couldn’t remove the arm from it.

Knackered hubs and upper/lower control arms angrily dropped off at local garage
Very heated conversation with local garage. And got full reimbursement for all parts and labour.

Never been anywhere but unit 20 since.

I wish this was the only bad incident with local garages but it isn’t. Could go on and on.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”