Gearbox cooling

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
ChRS6
Neutral

Gearbox cooling

Post by ChRS6 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am

Hi, I have read the threads on replacing the pipe work and gearbox/engine coolers, I assume there were changes during the early production run in the routing of the gearbox cooling, my car (2003) appears to have a route through the water radiator prior to going into the gearbox cooler, but no thermal switch (as shown in the Audi parts diagram). Seems a hybrid of the earlier and later designs. I assume the preferred option is just to run hoses from the gearbox through the oil cooler and bypass the water radiator bit?

Cheers
Chris

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Gearbox cooling

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:56 am

Problem with ATF is that it's a problem if it's too cold and it's a problem if it's too hot.

IIRC, Halfway through the production run, Audi added the routing through the coolant rad to reduce ATF heating time to get the box up to temp quicker / keep it warm enough when exterior temp is cold when the combined oil/ATF cooler isn't enough. Works both ways, of course. Extra thermal transfer to the coolant when the box is running hot.

I think if I was going to mess with the routing I'd put a thermostat on there. Be nice to have an ATF temp readout too. You can get that over OBD2.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 am

If you bypass the radiator you can potientially also use the nice cheap rads that are available for the earlier cars.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ChRS6
Neutral

Post by ChRS6 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:09 pm

Ok many thanks, that makes sense. I will have another dig about to try to work out where the routing currently goes, I suspect as soon as I start undoing connections I will be in for replacing a number of pipes!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Yeah. If it's not leaking I'd leave it well alone.

ChRS6
Neutral

Post by ChRS6 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Unfortunately I have a leak at the joint between 2 of the metal pipes, might be able to tighten it, but suspect it will disintegrate when I try…..

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”