Safe to start

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Safe to start

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 03, 2022 3:46 pm

I was looking into priming the oil pump on the Rangey the other day. I've got an oil pressure light that flickers on when the revs dip below normal idle which I don't like at all. Seems you can pull out the dizzy and use a drill to get the oil flowing. Anyway, my problem isn't that the engine isn't primed.

I've replaced the oil pressure switch and I dropped the sump to clean the gunk out of it and the pick-up strainer (surprisingly clean) but it didn't help. I think it's because I used synthetic oil that's too thin for the old lump. I'll try some 15W50 oil in it to see if that helps. If not then I'll replace the oil pump.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Yeah, for the BBC I pull the dizzy and put a tool in to prime the system. For first start it's great since it fills all the pipes etc. But once primed, I don't think I'd bother doing it again unless I had disconnected and drained the cooler & pipes.

Re Oil :
On my (very old) RV8 motor, it smoked noticeably with cheapo 10W40 oil in.
On the current RV8, it prefers a 5W50 synthetic oil. Noticeably less clattery both hot & cold (not bad even on Mobil1 0W40, but enough that this is smoother)
I always go for the lowest W rating I can get so I get better flow from cold at the same pressure (almost our exactly conversation above. lol). This is my favourite for it:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-147389-com ... e-oil.aspx

I don't have a pressure gauge - it's on the to do list, but the todo list is pretty big at the moment.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 03, 2022 4:02 pm

Yeah, I noticed mine gets noisier as it gets warmer and the oil gets runnier. Thanks for the link. Didn't know you could get 5W50. I'll get some of that. :thumbs:

Yeah, I also need to get a pressure gauge. My list is similarly overcrowded. :(
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm

While we're (I'm) shitting all over Mav's thread, do you know of any brake fluids that have a tint? I used to use ATE super blue to see when the old stuff was all the way out but it's NLA.
Last edited by Shoppinit on Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:I'm absolutely not convinced by this pulling the fuse and cranking on the starter motor thing. Does anyone have lab evidence to back this up?
Why do I dispute it?

"Gear" Oil pumps are not constant displacement. They need to run with a bit of speed to both flow a good amount of oil and hold some pressure
That not all lubrication in the engine is provided by the pump. The pistons & cylinders are lubed by "splash" from the crank. Older V8's get the cam lubed like this too.
The the low oil pressure of cranking doesn't really get much oil flowing into all the nooks and crannies
That it's not actual oil pressure holding the big ends off the crank (think about it, 60psi is nothing compared the the reciprocating loads on a big end!) anyway.
That you need a lot more speed than that to pump up a lifter - you've trying to create a cyclic load on the lifters to encourage them to pump - not enough tappety tap to get them to pump up at cranking speed anyway

So I've always taken a view that rather than crank for 30s until the light goes out, just fire the motor up to a fast idle as quickly as possible.

On a big block V8 with flat tappets (old school), this is especially critical - if you wind a new build over on the starter too long, I can guarantee you'll knacker the lifters and the cam. 100% guaranteed.
I don’t need a lab mate just my ears!!! If I leave it for over a month then start it it sounds like a bag of spanners for at least 30 seconds+not pulling the fuse is The cause of my timing chain pads breaking and bending 4 valves and bending the chain after I left it a month during a gearbox filter change and started it to check the gearbox oil level not thinking.all I want out of it is enff pressure to pump up the tensioner so the cam chain isn’t flaping about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm

@Shopp : I see the Millers stuff is a bit cheaper than Comma at the moment. And don't forget the RS246 discount code - it still works last time I placed an order with opie oils.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 03, 2022 4:15 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm
@Shopp : I see the Millers stuff is a bit cheaper than Comma at the moment. And don't forget the RS246 discount code - it still works last time I placed an order with opie oils.
:thumbs:

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 am

I hate it when mum and dad argue, it makes me question all my believes and I don’t know what to do.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0MYNnQh ... y.gif&ct=g

Anyway, in true petrolhead style when your cars not running there’s only one thing to do...

buy more crap for it that you’ll never get round to fitting. 🤪 Picked up this interior, needs a bloody good clean and the drivers side bolster leather needs a lick of paint but otherwise I think she’ll look good once fitted.
1F5065C0-204D-492F-9488-FC5A0F1313EE.jpeg

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri May 06, 2022 7:15 pm

Did you start it up though? I hope you did, and it was like that scene from The Lost Boys where he starts the nice car up, gives it a rev, and then hops in the shitter for going to town.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 pm

Such a good film.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri May 06, 2022 7:38 pm

It certainly is.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Fri May 06, 2022 7:50 pm

No, bloody battery was flat so have put it on charge.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Sun May 08, 2022 4:05 pm

Happily after pulling fuse 28 & 29 and turning is over a few times she fired up straight away with no issues.
Fingers crossed suspension turns up this month.
I have been offered KW kit or the B16s but at additional cost. 🤔

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:23 pm

Hi Chris. I installed the bilstein b16,s.
Really happy with them. And I like the adjustability.
As with most things it depends on what you are prepared to pay.
How much extra are they asking for ?

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Mon May 09, 2022 6:53 am

steve2003rs6 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:23 pm
Hi Chris. I installed the bilstein b16,s.
Really happy with them. And I like the adjustability.
As with most things it depends on what you are prepared to pay.
How much extra are they asking for ?
I had the 16s on mine and I was very happy with them. However when I took them off I noticed that they were set to lvl2, which I’m told is meant to be very firm similar to the set I’ve ordered. It will cost another £500 to “upgrade” to the 16, which isn’t too bad, however I just sent my 300 away to have new injectors, main harness and a load of other work done and was told that it looks like it might have a stuck piston ring after sitting for so long.

I don’t know, I’ll give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

Bloody cars!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”