Maximum Gearbox torque final word?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Maximum Gearbox torque final word?

Post by Classik » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:45 pm

I'll have a new remap soon and trying to get the final word about max torque the GB can handle. I know this has already been discussed but I have conflicting data between what's being said here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118730&hilit=Maximum+torque and Wiki about the 5hp24A there : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP_transmission, so ~760NM versus 430NM.

My box is almost new from 2 years ago (standard rebuilt) and I intend to make it last another 100kkms and keep it properly maintained with regular fluid changes. So what kind of figure would be a decent target for the engine max output torque?

Thanks!
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Maximum Gearbox torque final word?

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:55 pm

The box in the RS6 isn't a standard 5HP24A. It has been modified for the RS6 to allow for the torque.

You won't get a definitive answer because box longevity depends on many factors, not just the torque. My opinion is that most box failures are not because of excess torque but because there is a failure somewhere in the hydraulic system that causes excessive clutch slipping. We did a thread a looong time ago where people posted their box failure and mileage and whether modded. While not terribly scientific, anecdotally the modified cars failed no more often than the standard cars. FWIW.

I personally would go for the maximum torque you can get and drive the car sympathetically. Do some logging with VCDS and see if you are getting any slippage under high-torque situations. You could always dial it back a bit.

You staying on E85? Won't that be the limiting factor in the amount of torque you'll be able to develop?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Re: Maximum Gearbox torque final word?

Post by Classik » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:17 pm

Thank you for a comprehensive reply Shopp, and well noted the recommendation for reaching to the max torque before slippage.
As far as e85 is concerned, I'll still use it of course (reasons already exposed in the 'Cost of filling up' thread), and as a matter of facts it allows for more torque and power than regular 98 octane.
You may remember I use a small device which connects to the OBD plug and allows to change the map either for 98RON or E85 depending on what's available.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”