intermittant starter swing but no start

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
airtite
2nd Gear

intermittant starter swing but no start

Post by airtite » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 am

Over the weekend my car has developed a new issue, stopped to fill up fuel after filling turned the key as usual and the starter ran turning the motor at its usual pace but the car wouldnt start tried a few times, then started thinking perhaps the garage had put diesel instead of petrol but that wasnt the case verified on my receipt it was 95 petrol and I have filled up at the garage many times. Called the wife and asked her to please bring the laptop and VCDS cable so I could check for faults as I p[ut the phone down I tried again and the car fired up as normal, no strange sounds, no dash lights nothing.

Waited for the wife to arrive grabbed the laptop and VCDS cable and carried on to my destination, later that night while leaving a friends place went out to start the car same thing starter swings, motor turns just no start... plugged VCDS in checked codes for engine nothing not a single code, ran a full scan and only have things related to the radio and a air quality sensor nothing else, same thing a couple of swings later and the car started again.

Any ideas? To me its almost like a immobiliser issue but there is nothing logged, its also very much like a bad checksum issue with the ecu flash? ie 1st start is fine but 2nd start after flashing a file that hasnt been checksummed no start.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: intermittant starter swing but no start

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 am

Crank position sensor.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am

I would go with Crank position sensor also. Symptoms are similar to issues with my old VR6.

On another note....

Why are you running 95 ? Should really be a higher Octane. She'll run quite a bit smoother.

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 am

Mark-RS wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am
I would go with Crank position sensor also. Symptoms are similar to issues with my old VR6.

On another note....

Why are you running 95 ? Should really be a higher Octane. She'll run quite a bit smoother.
wouldnt the crank position sensor log a fault?

regarding the fuel, unfortunately thats the highest octane we can get at a normal garage here in South Africa.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am

Nope. It's a well-known defect.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:53 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am
Nope. It's a well-known defect.
Thanks, yup and it doesnt look like an easy job either!!

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm

To add some background to Ben's note

On the engine's I've built and/or converted to EFI, the circuit to engage the starter motor is totally seperate to the circuit that tells the ECU the motor is spinning - there's no electrical connection between the 2. So the ECU only knows the motor is cranking because it's turning over, but too slowly to be running. Which is why (on a manual), you can still bump start them.
It's also the first thing I check - when I spin the engine over on the starter motor, am I seeing 1-200 rpm in the ECU. If so - all good. If not, I've probably wired the hall sensor that came without a wiring diagram back to front again.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm
the ECU only knows the motor is cranking because it's turning over, but too slowly to be running. Which is why (on a manual), you can still bump start them.
It's also the first thing I check - when I spin the engine over on the starter motor, am I seeing 1-200 rpm in the ECU. If so - all good. If not, I've probably wired the hall sensor that came without a wiring diagram back to front again.
Excellent point.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”