Tiptronic / Paddleshift not working

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
mato
Neutral

Tiptronic / Paddleshift not working

Post by mato » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 am

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could please advise on what may be the probable causes for the gearbox not being able to shift manually either via the gear stick or the paddles?

The car apparently operates normally in automatic mode, I am considering buying the vehicle but was just wanting to get a feel for the possible repairs required etc.

Thanks

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Tiptronic / Paddleshift not working

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 am

Could be a lot of reasons. I'd want to check the coding of the TCU. I wonder if someone replaced the TCU with one from another A6 and it's not compatible / coded / programmed properly.

Could be electrical, although I'm struggling to think of a wiring fault that would cause both ways of tiptro to fail. Even in D, the buttons/paddles will work and briefly put the box into tiptro mode when used.

Without putting the car on the Vagcom to see what the inputs from the buttons / lever are doing, it's hard to diagnose.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:49 am

Where is the car? Maybe there's someone local that can scan the fault codes for you. Or get a VAG code reader and scan it yourself. A generic OBD2 reader won't do it though. You'll need something that can reads codes on the gearbox.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:56 am

Might be as simple as a short in one of the paddle switches or the tiptro selector switch on the lever which is stopping it allowing tiptro. A Vagcom scan would show if this was the case. Needs diagnosing properly with the right tools.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:42 am

Or it's the reason the previous owner is getting rid and they already know it's £££ to fix.... Unless the rest of the car is minty I'd be away looking at one that is working fully.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:44 am

If you buy it knowing that it might need lots of gearbox work, and prepared to do it, and it turns out to just need a minor electrical repair then that's a good call. I bought my Volvo this way. Discounted because of ABS fault and it just turned out to be a pube in the steering angle sensor.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 am

srichards wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:42 am
Or it's the reason the previous owner is getting rid and they already know it's £££ to fix.... Unless the rest of the car is minty I'd be away looking at one that is working fully.
I see this so often. The ad says "warning light on dash but just needs xx to fix". Then why didn't you fix it before selling it?! They think people are idiots. And often they are right!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”