Things to sort. Car punishing me.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Things to sort. Car punishing me.

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:07 am

So as some of you may be aware, I had to store my car in a friend's garden for a few months while I was moving house. In retrospect this was a huge error. My car has always slept inside and this sudden exposure to the elements was very obviously much to its distaste, despite being covered (or maybe because of it). It is now making its displeasure apparent in a couple of ways:

1. Gearbox going into limp when moving from P to R/D too quickly. Some F125 codes.
2. ABS / Traction control lights coming on, usually at the same time as the gearbox going into limp. Looks like a failing brake light switch, tested with Vagcom.
3. Gear selector locking solenoid level not disengaging. Very disconcerting not to be able to move the lever. Thought it would be linked to (2) but having dismantled the trim and gotten angry at myself for forgetting that the gear knob needs something to stop the button retracting all the way after being removed, I can see that the solenoid is really weak and can't pull the locking lever with enough force. Of course, to get the solenoid out, the whole linkage assembly has to come out and the exhausts and drive shaft have to be dropped to do that. :audibash:
4. Tailgate is leaking copiously (cf other thread). More trim work. I HATE trim work.
5. Tailgate sunblind isn't rolling back in properly. I didn't even know I had one until I started investigating the leak and I made the rookie mistake of pulling it out to see how well it works (it doesn't). Anyway, it might be moot because I might have damaged it beyond repair trying to prise it out.
6. The push-fasteners on the carbon fibre trim in the engine bay have corroded. Maybe I'll get them plated. Another stupid design.
7. Steering wheel went mouldy and the car smells of mould instead of new car smell like it used to. I've sorted this now, but a very slight mouldy smell remains. Very slight so could be my imagination, but I'm going to AC bacteria bomb the interior a few times so that nothing inside could survive.

Or maybe I'll just trade it in for a C7.

:rant:

Having said that, I took it for a good blast and it performed flawlessly once going, so maybe I should just count my blessings that I've only got minor irritations.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Re: Things to sort. Car punishing me.

Post by srichards » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:14 am

New battery might help as well.

Those caravan dehumidifier things might be worth using to pull some of the excess moisture out of the car too.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 am

Yeah. The battery did go flat so it's probably been mortally wounded. I had a lot of codes from low voltage. Most of the time the car only gets started once at the beginning of my drive then it comes home to get plugged back in to the conditioner. I've been caught out before where the conditioner masks the true condition of the battery and once it started fine when coming off the conditioner, but didn't have enough juice to restart some hours later, despite having been driven.

Car is now sleeping in its new garage which is bone-dry. Almost too dry in there. Might need a humidifier!
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:27 am

Shop,
I think your experience enforces that it's better to use these cars regularly and if possible keep inside.
Mine will be evicting the old Merc SL (which seems happy in the barn) from it's heated garage soon for that reason.

I'm not convinced a C7 is worth the extra cost. I guess that depends on your individual circumstances.
Good luck.

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:52 am

Thats shocking Ben it deteriorate so fast outside...
I feel your pain Ben, when im in that mood i start to watch out for other cars too, (i still have the annoying faulty light and been coming up very regularly without a broken bulb...) recently a RS4B7 sedan😎 i love the manual and V8, but prob miss the kick in the back from no turbos and the regular de-carbonize....πŸ€” knowing it will start carbonizing as soon as it has been cleaned and will eat torque and HP...

How is the BMW M doing?πŸ‘
If you can't go to the track, bring the track to you.
Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control
Yellow Koni's
Porsche 959, gone but not forgotten.
Fight ALS disease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFDWTC8B8g

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Yeah, I'd struggle with a B7 I think. I like them, but they're not for me I think.

The C7 is awesome. I drove my friend's C7 PE the other day and it was just so quick. I sometimes wonder whether cars can be too quick. The M3 isn't brutal quick - you have to work the gears - but when I drive it enthusiastically I often feel that it doesn't need to be quicker. Don't need to scare myself.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:12 pm

Capt Ric wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:27 am
Shop,
I think your experience enforces that it's better to use these cars regularly and if possible keep inside.
Mine will be evicting the old Merc SL (which seems happy in the barn) from it's heated garage soon for that reason.

I'm not convinced a C7 is worth the extra cost. I guess that depends on your individual circumstances.
Good luck.
Yeah, they definitely benefit from being kept inside. And they should definitely be used regularly. Although, having said that, I didn't have any issues using the RS6 very infrequently as long as it was sleeping inside.
mavada wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:52 am
How is the BMW M doing?πŸ‘
My M3 causes me grief from not using it enough: brake pads went rotten, disks rusted beyond repair, MAF hari-kari'd, dashpod went spastic, windscreen washer stopped working, brake pipes (metal) exploded when the MOT tester was putting it on the ramps almost causing a horrible accident, window button stopped working. And that's just in the last year and in less than 200 miles. Not being used enough.
Last edited by Shoppinit on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Oh yes the C7's are awesome, but the older i get, the more i kind of like manual boxes more, like your M.
No stress of signs of the black Magic autotrans going nuts, did it slip?

And yes, garaged cars will suffer too...
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
Yellow Koni's

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:15 pm

No, gear changes are like new. Probably just jinxed it now.

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Hm, mine is slipping about 200rpm after a gearchange (all gears) when i accelerate very slow, but carspeed increase is smooth.
With just some more acceleration it is gone.
I remember i made a video on YouTube years ago.

Will need a ramp to service to box, has been done 55.000 km ago, now at 106.700.

Found the vid:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoeBIdZ73kU
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
Yellow Koni's

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm

You sure that's not just the torque converter doing it's thing?

Anyone know who the OE supplier is for the brake light switch? Autodoc says EPS, but I've never heard of them. Vemo or Meyle would probably be my next choice.

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Ill have a look, ive some in my garage ordered by Audi..
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
Yellow Koni's

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:30 pm

They are stamped vw.

Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
Yellow Koni's

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Shoppinit wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm
You sure that's not just the torque converter doing it's thing?
I remember testdriving a black plus (when i already had current RS6) that didnt do it...

When im in 5th gear at about 60kmh the rpm very very little vary.
Need to drive it faster will solve it😁
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
Yellow Koni's

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:59 pm

I've had one of those. Think my local indy just ordered the brake light switch from TPS I think.

These appear to be genuine audi but I've never heard of the site before: https://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/produ ... 2945511rdw

Return to β€œRS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”