Things to sort. Car punishing me.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
srichards
4th Gear

Re: Things to sort. Car punishing me.

Post by srichards » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 am

The EML being on is limp mode. It says in the handbook to get the car fixed straight away if that is on.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 am

Yes, obviously needs the fault codes reading if the EML stays on. Some are more problematic than others though. I'd certainly be concerned for the cats if the system running rich fault was seen.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:24 am

srichards wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 am
The EML being on is limp mode. It says in the handbook to get the car fixed straight away if that is on.
That was kinda my point.

Lean running can do a lot of damage.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:29 am

Mine could be the EVAP system again.

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 pm

man I am feeling the same about my car... just lately it feels like it went from being the most reliable car to the least.... my boost/vacuum leak went from whatever it was doing to a full boost leak today ontop of that I stopped to have a beer at the pub after the boost leak and now my crank position sensor issue decided now was the time to not start the car, so after like being patient and waiting for a storm to pass I managed to limp the car home... man I love to hate this bitch sometimes!!

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:12 pm

It was the EVAP. Also lambda was a bit off.

Brakes are hotter one one side so they're going to get a refurb kit and do both fronts. If this is the first time they've been re-furbed then they've done well to last this long.

This seems to be the appropriate repair kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333725854784 ... Swv~pemZyj

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Yeah, I did my front calipers a while back, along with disks, pads, the rears & master cylinder too while I was in there. Wasn't too bad to bleed using one of those pressure bleeders and the braking is very very good now - much lighter on the pedal.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Yeah mine were all done this year and brake booster valve. Really positive now. I am now very confident with the brakes.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:39 pm

srichards wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:29 am
Mine could be the EVAP system again.
What's wrong with your evap? I'm trying to understand how this could lead to a limp mode.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:59 pm

As with any vac system leak, this can lead to unmetered air being pulled into the inlet and cause the MIL for incorrect mixture.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 pm

Thanks for the explanation Shopp. Wouldn't it simply be a case of a faulty N80 or the non return valves downstream, as opposed to a problem with the EVAP system per se ?
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Could be any of those. Srichards will need to enlighten us on the exact problem in the evap system.

Once BMW screwed up the plumbing on the evap system on my E36 M3. To this day I still have no idea how they managed it. I had flown in from Taiwan the day before, picked up my car on the sat morning (in retrospect it was a mistake to leave it with them for 2 weeks) and needed to drive x hundred miles to catch a ferry that evening. Their cock-up meant that the car wouldn’t go above 3000 rpm. I was only able to drive the car by removing the fuel cap. I was later told (by A different dealer who fixed the mess) that I was lucky my fuel tank hadn’t imploded. Anyway, boring and pointless story for your entertainment.

Oh yeah, they also managed to break the fuel tank level sender making the fuel tank read half when it was actually full.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Ooops.. :?

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:03 am

I don't know is the honest answer. They have mapped out the errors so that it's less fussy about it. At some point it will have to be chased down properly. It seems to consistently come on two trips after the MOT for some reason. I get it back. Take it out once. Totally fine. Next time the EML is on. It's weird. It's only doing 300 miles a year now so it doesn't seem worth the effort to chase it down. Or is it important to chase it down anyway?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Brake light switch replaced. Seems to have sorted my box shitting itself when I move the lever. I still suspect I'm in for a F125 replacement though. Interestingly, the lever position sensor (cabin side) doesn't seem to have any effect on anything. I moved it independantly of the lever and the car couldn't care less.

I spent a long time alternately cleaning and lubricating the lever lock solenoid with switch cleaner / brake cleaner and WD40 / silicone lubricant respectively. Seems to have freed it enough to work properly now. Interestingly, pressing the brake pedal cuts the power to the solenoid which then retracts presumably using a spring that's out of sight. That means that when you turn off the ignition, the solenoid unlocks. There is a second solenoid / actuator which prevents you pressing the gear knob lever which is opposite logic. I've never previously had cause to look at the selector mechanism. It looks like it was designed by someone with a serious personality disorder.

So for now the car has stopped punishing me. It even managed to look pretty when the sun came out briefly. I swear, it's a good job it's pretty...

Tomorrow, proper road test. Any excuse. Then to try to sort the boot leak.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”