Oil leak advice between the head and alternator area?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Puggie
3rd Gear

Oil leak advice between the head and alternator area?

Post by Puggie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:47 pm

So, MOT booked for tomorrow after doing the headgaskets, took it for a little run to check all is ok and get back to find it pissing oil from somewhere up front. I will get the pokey camera to it at the weekend but it looks to be drivers side, under the head (nothing on the ex manifold) coming down round the back of the alternator from above. I did the Bufkin pipe before the head gaskets went and its done a good few miles since then with no issues. Definitely seems to be coming out with pressure, there is a good steady drip with the engine idling.

Any ideas please as to where this could be coming from?

Thanks

EDIT: probably worth a mention that i have a setrab oil cooler on flexi lines and remote mounted oil filter, they seem to all be fine and no leaks around the hoses that I can see. Also fitted a new starter motor recently, so turbo oil drain has been off, but the leak is higher than that.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Re: Oil leak advice between the head and alternator area?

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Puggie. I can feel your pain. I have a similar problem. In my case I had a turbo oil drain pipe and transfer box leak. These were done at Neston. But I still have a leak in the same places. However transfer box seal is now ok.
Possibly cam cover gaskets.
Poss turbo oil drain pipe (again)
Spoke to unit 20. There is a nut behind the oil filter that can vibrate loose. They are going to check these areas next week.
I don’t know if the above helps you in any way. But well worth checking. If nothing else it will eliminate them.

Puggie
3rd Gear

Re: Oil leak advice between the head and alternator area?

Post by Puggie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:34 pm

Its headgasket!

more info here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134950&p=958683#p958683

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”