Tailgate leak

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Tailgate leak

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:20 pm

My car is punishing me for leaving it in my friends damp garden while I was moving house.

Today’s irritation is a good pint of water that pissed out of the *inside* of the tailgate when I opened it and into the load space. It’s a bit baffling where it came from.

I washed it this morning and the only time it gets wet is when being washed. Maybe I pointed the pressure washer at just the wrong angle. Seems unlikely though. Sigh.

Anyone had a tailgate leak recently? If so, where was it coming from?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Re: Tailgate leak

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Sorry Ben I am not a expert.
As you know mine is half a car (saloon)
If it was me I would have someone sat in the rear then close the tailgate. Someone on the outside with a hosepipe. You should then be able to identify where the leak is.
Alternative would be a smoke test to the interior.
You would see the smoke escaping to the outside from the leak.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:16 pm

Fog light surround is only place I can think of it getting in.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:31 pm

Yeah. I’ll lock my wife in the boot tomorrow until she spots where it’s coming in.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:08 am

Wiper arm rubber seal perished..?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:44 am

That would make sense given where the water accumulated

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:48 am

I'd check around the top brake light unit as well, think it's only a bit of foam that seals that from memory.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:09 am

Cool. Thanks for the tips. About to go and remove the tailgate trim to see if I can spot the leak. I also made the mistake of pulling the sun blind out (didn’t know I had one) and now it won’t reel back in.

F125 and brake light switch playing up too. Definitely being punished.

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:18 am

While you have the trim off, check your boot lock mechanism. From memory the plastic bit used to snap easily and the boot wouldn't lock, only found out by chance.
Car definitely didn't enjoy sitting in the garden did it. Have you managed to get the mould situation under control?
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

G pat
1st Gear

Post by G pat » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 am

I had this on a b7 a4 avant, it turned out to be the rear screen washer hose. There is a joint in the hose near the hinge and this had come apart allowing all of the washer fluid to pour straight into the bottom of the tailgate.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:21 am

Why is every single job on this car an absolute c*nt?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:55 am

Right, it looks like it's coming in through the aluminium trim strip at the bottom of the tailgate:

Wonderfully, Elsawin says that the trim can't be removed without destroying it. :shock: I don't fancy attempting to get these nuts off anyway:
IMG_4136.jpg
I'm going to have to have a think about the best way to sort this leak. In the meantime, it's going back in the garage to think about what it's done.

For anyone trying to remove the tailgate trim, *don't* rely on Total Technik video. It's for a boggo A6 and doesn't talk about the sun blind. Plus the one he's using is basically hanging off anyway. Not only that but I was pulling my hair out waiting for him to get to the point. Anyway, this video explains it better and also talks about what I suspect is my problem: failed adhesive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27Kt-54vV0

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Hi Ben. At least you found the leak. With your skills I am sure you will find a remedy !
Translucent silicon ?????
A big pain that the trim is so hard to remove with rusted bolts and double sided tape.

Really good how to video. Hope when you get it off you don’t have the same rust problem. That is if you are taking it off. Probably less of a headache if you can devise a in situ remedy.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:41 pm

I'll put a bit of silicone on the inside for now. Haven't got time for a proper fix. It can wait until I do. It would be a different story if the car didn't sleep inside.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:18 am
While you have the trim off, check your boot lock mechanism. From memory the plastic bit used to snap easily and the boot wouldn't lock, only found out by chance.
Car definitely didn't enjoy sitting in the garden did it. Have you managed to get the mould situation under control?
Yeah, the mechanism looks OK. Mould is gone, but I've not quite got that new car smell back yet. I'm going to use a bactericide bomb in a minute to see if that helps.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”