Great looking Plus on A/T

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
stevo55
5th Gear

Great looking Plus on A/T

Post by stevo55 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:25 am

As I slowly start to look for the next car I’m always drawn back to RS6’s and the original was where my love affair with them began.
Saw this one on Auto Trader that looks great, in the top price bracket but the condition looks bang on.
Not sure about the tune at ‘500 bhp’ as they were 480 in Plus form I thought?
Anyhow-thoughts on this one?

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 3220462814

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Great looking Plus on A/T

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 am

Lady map, innit?
The stage 2 elevates power to over 500 bhp
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 am

Just my humble opinion....

I think that's extremely strong money for that car. I understand it's a "Plus" but if I was going to pay that kind of money for a Rare ish car, I would want a totally original one. And the fact that it's been tuned, makes it not original. Exhaust has been changed... Again, non original.

Bottom line I guess is it's just overpriced. I've seen decent Plus cars go for around 15k in the last couple of years. Never seen one as high as this.

Having said that, maybe times have changed ? Values rocketed ? But then there are plenty of regular cars with decent history going for 8k, which points to values being down ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:17 am

Is this Amar's old car?

/edit: it's not
Last edited by Shoppinit on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:22 am

Was it a farmer's car? Look at that brake pedal!

Also that steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake leather looks non-standard and fugly.

It's got the allroad wiper arms. Good.

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:45 am

Mark-RS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 am

I think that's extremely strong money for that car. I understand it's a "Plus" but if I was going to pay that kind of money for a Rare ish car, I would want a totally original one. And the fact that it's been tuned, makes it not original. Exhaust has been changed... Again, non original.

Bottom line I guess is it's just overpriced. I've seen decent Plus cars go for around 15k in the last couple of years. Never seen one as high as this.

Having said that, maybe times have changed ? Values rocketed ? But then there are plenty of regular cars with decent history going for 8k, which points to values being down ?
Prices are up for most cars. It's a popular colour, with a sunroof, probably sounds and goes a bit better than standard ( both mods easily reversed, unlike the coilovers which may or may not be better than the original DRC), relativley low mileage and it's a 'plus' which seems to attract a disproportionate premium.
Assuming there's no hidden issues, what's not to like ?

What else with such all round ability can you get for the money?

I've had mine 10 years now and can't find a better answer to that question.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 am

Capt Ric wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:45 am
Mark-RS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 am

Prices are up for most cars. It's a popular colour, with a sunroof, probably sounds and goes a bit better than standard ( both mods easily reversed, unlike the coilovers which may or may not be better than the original DRC), relativley low mileage and it's a 'plus' which seems to attract a disproportionate premium.
Assuming there's no hidden issues, what's not to like ?

What else with such all round ability can you get for the money?

I've had mine 10 years now and can't find a better answer to that question.
Yeah I get all that, but you did see it was £21k ? I would not be buying a C5 for £21k Plus or no Plus. That's approaching C6 territory. For this price I would expect it to have Zero mods anywhere and half the miles that it has. Then it could be seen as a collectors car ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Yeah, but a C6 doesn't have a fraction of the charisma of the C5.

The only advantage of a plus over a regular RS6, in real terms, is the exclusivity. If that's what you want then you need to pay for it. It's what'll mean that future values are higher, too, but high mileage will limit the ultimate value somewhat.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:41 pm

21 k wouldn’t put me off a c5. Especially if all the work had been done to it.
It’s surprising how garage bills can add up when you are trying to keep on top of things.
And like shopp I prefer the look of the c5 over the c6.
I almost traded mine in for a c6 about 2 years ago and so pleased I didn’t.
Decided to spend the difference getting the c5 to how I want it.
At the end of the day the car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 am

Not a single under bonnet shot!!! Wonder why? I'm not in this camp where 999 cars is an exclusive run. What did you really get for that, a little badge and a tune freshen up plus a marketing sell. We're about 38% of the UK population and we only got 27 base RS6, no Plus. Thats approx 1 car per million population. I'd suggest that fits the exclusive tag a little more.

It's a good looking car and almmost all of the wear points are mint, so much so that I would think someone has gone around and replaced those switches that wear just looking at them. It does seem that there are a few wear points at the back of the centre console and on the front seat Alcantara and of course the wheel and hand brake have been recovered.

My guess is that the interior at some stage reflected the miles on the clock. Under bonnet and the wheel arches / under pinnings will tell the real story.

I had the equivalent of 67,000 miles up when I bought mine, the interior condition much the same as that one and about 12K pounds all up. Thats a huge drop from the 100,000 pounds plus they cost here out the door new. I can't help it if well over half our population have no taste for/in cars. It came with turbo back milltek and wagner ic, both of which are gold plated price out here.

I don't need to choose but, it would want to be in good nick in the hidden places for me to cough up that money as the miles alone are pushing it out of the collector price territory.

All that said, it would be good for all if the prices were rising due to genuine interest but I suspect that covid blues and a hopeful dealer are largely to blame and in the post covid world it's value will probably crash.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:09 pm

IchBautAuto wrote:Not a single under bonnet shot!!! Wonder why? I'm not in this camp where 999 cars is an exclusive run. What did you really get for that, a little badge and a tune freshen up plus a marketing sell. We're about 38% of the UK population and we only got 27 base RS6, no Plus. Thats approx 1 car per million population. I'd suggest that fits the exclusive tag a little more.

It's a good looking car and almmost all of the wear points are mint, so much so that I would think someone has gone around and replaced those switches that wear just looking at them. It does seem that there are a few wear points at the back of the centre console and on the front seat Alcantara and of course the wheel and hand brake have been recovered.

My guess is that the interior at some stage reflected the miles on the clock. Under bonnet and the wheel arches / under pinnings will tell the real story.

I had the equivalent of 67,000 miles up when I bought mine, the interior condition much the same as that one and about 12K pounds all up. Thats a huge drop from the 100,000 pounds plus they cost here out the door new. I can't help it if well over half our population have no taste for/in cars. It came with turbo back milltek and wagner ic, both of which are gold plated price out here.

I don't need to choose but, it would want to be in good nick in the hidden places for me to cough up that money as the miles alone are pushing it out of the collector price territory.

All that said, it would be good for all if the prices were rising due to genuine interest but I suspect that covid blues and a hopeful dealer are largely to blame and in the post covid world it's value will probably crash.
And that last comment is the key one-why are car prices so inflated right now? I posted this on the C7 forum as it’s a strong contender (again) for my next performance car. I’m told that a worldwide shortage of cars and key parts is driving the prices up all round with nearly new holding a premium. The C5 is hardly new but this may well be an affect of that.
Big question of course is how long can this last? I’m holding off for that reason alone….to pay extra to then see the same models reduce in price not long after would be a kick in the teeth. Was told August time but that could stretch to Oct/Nov. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.