Wire insulation issue

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Lander91
3rd Gear

Wire insulation issue

Post by Lander91 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:10 am

Hi all

Did a search and couldn't find any direct reference to insulation issues in the loom.

So here's my latest ramble.

I know the reasons why the insulation has failed etc, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered and dealt (or not) with the insulation on the SAI pump wiring specifically?

Note: No codes are present that relate to the SAI.

As per the pic, and the fact that there's no codes I'm assuming that the exposed wire is a shield of some sort? Pieces of the exposed wiring on the 2 main wires have been/are in contact.

I will be taping the exposed wire, but I can see it goes waaaay back into the main loom and as I go further up I just keep uncovering cracked insulation.

My thinking is to stop as all the wires are quite tightly packed in and the insulation, despite being cracked is still separating the wires to a degree - as long as I don't cut open the main loom insulation.

Any pointers appreciated as usual.

PS
I have a bunch of 4-pin plug "boots" in case youve spotted the broken ones.
Attachments
20210628_112741.jpg
20210628_112745.jpg

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Re: Wire insulation issue

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:55 am

Nope, that is the main cable core showing in your photos. I'd say that you are just LUCKY that nothing has actually shorted out. The cable gauge is enough for significant current so a real event could see you up in smoke.

No, I have nothing to offer on the SAI pump wiring. As you say, you know all about the reasons for the insulation failure and you'll know all about all the places that it occurs too.

Other than to acknowledge that it's a "corageous" decision to do SFA about it, I have nothing to contribute about leaving or not leaving the SAI wiring in that state.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:58 am

IchBautAuto wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:55 am
Nope, that is the main cable core showing in your photos. I'd say that you are just LUCKY that nothing has actually shorted out. The cable gauge is enough for significant current so a real event could see you up in smoke.

No, I have nothing to offer on the SAI pump wiring. As you say, you know all about the reasons for the insulation failure and you'll know all about all the places that it occurs too.

Other than to acknowledge that it's a "corageous" decision to do SFA about it, I have nothing to contribute about leaving or not leaving the SAI wiring in that state.
:? :audibash:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:29 pm

I wouldn't even have the battery connected with that wire in that state - which is what Tony really means. ;)

That's the engine loom - which is nice and accessible and easy to remove from the car. The tricky bit is the rigid part of it that runs across the back of the panel and connects into the ECU bay.
Potentially it's just the "loose" end of the wire back to the panel that's damaged and you can splice in some in a new cable. Otherwise, I'd at least be going back into the ECU bay and isolating those cables, or rewiring them seperately - which you could attach to an SAI delete if you wished.

Or this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164537424172
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Thanks Matt, I think someone or something has been watching over me (or the car at least). Based on what Tony said I've begun going as far back as I can. I haven't inspected the ECU side of the molded crossover piece, hopefully I can visually inspect without moving the loom too much.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:29 pm
.................which is what Tony really means. ;)

Mind reader :notworthy:
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:56 am

Quick update: As mentioned I'm going quite far back up the loom to ensure I've got as much of the duff SAI pump wires out. I'm replacing them with 4mm automotive wire, same brown and red colours. The wires themselves are 3.5 but I'd rather 4 as opposed to 3 as I couldn't source the 3.5 dia size.

While I'm at it (famous last words) I'll be installing a flame proof heat shield product (https://1stparts.co.nz/product/rep-blac ... per-meter/ over the associated loom back to the waterbox bulkhead.

There is a section of this type of shield over the last 25cm of the SAI pump loom, most of the insulation in this area was not as badly effected, it didn't crack until I manipulated the wires significantly, and then I had to peel the pieces of insulation off. I think the shield helps

So while it seems that this insulation issue only relates to the SAI pump wires so far, I'll be adding this sheild product over all I can access for piece of mind for only 50 or 60 bucks. I figure that it protects the wires from external heat/flame sources, but can also protect external parts from any shorting out.

I'll finish this thread with the process as I have a few bits to get and a tool to make for the smaller micro pin plugs.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”