Current best suspension set up for c5?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Promech
Neutral

Current best suspension set up for c5?

Post by Promech » Fri May 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Just wondering what people’s thought are on the current best coil over set up on a c5 rs6 I know it used to be a choice between bilstein, kw and H&r but has anything better come on the seen ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Current best suspension set up for c5?

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 29, 2021 6:49 am

Not H&R, that’s a saggy bone shaker.

Otherwise it depends what you want from the suspension. Some people are using Konis with standard springs. I like the pss9. Pss are supposed to be hard.

Problem is finding someone who’s tried them all and can give good comparison report. I’ve tried pss9, DRC and H&R.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sat May 29, 2021 8:03 am

On the rs6 I’ve had the following

H&R coil overs = <beep>. Avoid
Pss9= very very good and great drive however very expensive and you don’t use the total capability unless you track the car
Standard spring and koni shocks = current set up and good all round to use

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:28 am

Had to remove the H&R set up from mine. They were absolutely awful.
Currently on PSS9s. Transformed the car.
Decent roads and motorways they are brilliant.
Really Poor roads not as good but still miles better than the H&R.

Lander91
3rd Gear

Post by Lander91 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 am

Hi all, to confirm re H&R, these are the <beep> ones? Red H&R springs.
I've no reference to base the feel off, I've owned W126 s-classes and now drive new VWAG cars for work so yeah, boats vs new cars....
Attachments
20201215_170804.jpg

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun May 30, 2021 1:32 am

Technically the standard suspension is coilover. You asked about the best, for what purpose? If you are going to just track it, pss9, ohlins and a few more high end setups are the answer but on the street they will only be the best on a certain piece of road on a certain day with a certain adjustment. On that occasion they will be the best by a long way and a compromise everywhere else.

Human Joist mentioned Standard spring and koni shocks = current set up and good all round to use. I use Bilstein and standard springs, same dog, different spots. They are a compromise everywhere, not as brilliant as pss9 on the day but far less of a compromise everywhere else. I think enough of them to use them on my RS4 and RS6 and I think they are more than adequate for a track day where you just drive up and race.

Second the recommendations to avoid certain brands, otherwise you get to choose between just getting in and driving or always wondering how it would go if you just adjusted the damping (compression or rebound) or the ride height that smidge. Spoils your day after a while.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am

steve2003rs6 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 9:28 am
Agree on this, i have PSS9 and some seriously shocking roads around Scotland right now, you definitely feel them but its not as bad as some lowered cars over the years ive had, once on a nice bit of tarmac, its fantastic

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun May 30, 2021 12:23 pm

KW on mine, although I have nothing to compare them against they are more than fine. Still fairly hard though.

Also I have no idea what settings they are set to. No idea about rebound etc.... It's something I may actually look at getting sorted if needed. I would like to have everything checked over and set up as good as it can be.

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Sun May 30, 2021 9:34 pm

KWs version 3 on mine. When I got the car it was way to hard. The main problem was it was the ride height was set to low. No travel left in the shock so it was sitting on the bump stops. Raised the height and set Compression on 1 click from softest and rebound set at the middle of the range. It's still hard on sharp bumps but not bad enough to change. Tyre pressure is something else that affects the ride quality. Running mine at 40psi.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon May 31, 2021 7:12 am

^good point. I find they need to be at 3 bar (~42 psi)
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:47 pm

Foxmeister wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am
steve2003rs6 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 9:28 am
Agree on this, i have PSS9 and some seriously shocking roads around Scotland right now, you definitely feel them but its not as bad as some lowered cars over the years ive had, once on a nice bit of tarmac, its fantastic
Just a update. I have been blaming the pss9,s for mediocre performance on crap roads. And brilliant on good roads.
Need to address this.
They are superb on all road surfaces since doing the mod to the pedal box.
Really enjoying the drive experience and the difference in the before and after is phenomenal.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”