4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Re: decision time .fix., or sell as a non runner

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 am

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am
@Tony : As we often do, we've disagreed whilst agreeing. :)
I view anything properly in the guts of the oil system as a bit like open heart surgery. 1 bit of grit or swarf is enough to ruin the expensive rebuild.
So while I said "clean room", I use those words to highlight that cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to engine rebuilds, not that specifically, it has to be a hermetically sealed clean room. It's all just risk mitigation to avoid having to do it again and the average mechanics workshop I've been in is not clean enough IMVHO. And since this is the internet and things get quoted, I prefer to overstate rather than understate important things.
Had a laugh on that. Ideally it's true and then I think of the work that happens mostly on bikes in the middle of the Dakar and others, work I and others have had to do on site and the list goes on. Cleanliness is next to G...... as they say, but knowing what needs to be perfect and what doesn't is the key. Many engines run their whole life with swarf without anyone ever knowing. But if you don't scrub the whole block after a hone you're in trouble, do the bores twice.

Pretty clear that it needs to be a replacement engine to be viable under the circumstances put forward. Worth getting the bearing topic updated though as sooner or later someone will need it.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Is this guy close enough to get parts from?

Breaking
GENUINE RS6 C5 RECARO
FRONT seat full.electric
Front and Rear are Heated
Rear door card have sun blind
Arm rest coming in set.
Asking 700£ for full set
Based in Peterborough England

Can deliver in uk for extra charge
Have many parts visit in my page will see more offer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3134275 ... ?ref=share

v8_killy
Neutral

Post by v8_killy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Nothing to add except my last RS6 was a Mugello blue avant with reg SW03 YMM. I wonder if it was the same Aberdeen dealer that originally supplied them both? My ‘new’ one is ST and was supplied by Camerons in Perth.
RS6 Avant in Misano Red
Bog standard 2003 RS6 Avant in Mugello Blue (sold Sep 2013)

carlssonaero
1st Gear

Post by carlssonaero » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 pm

yup my car was supplied by Audi in Abderdeen

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu May 13, 2021 12:05 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am

@Tony : As we often do, we've disagreed whilst agreeing. :)
I view anything properly in the guts of the oil system as a bit like open heart surgery. 1 bit of grit or swarf is enough to ruin the expensive rebuild.
So while I said "clean room", I use those words to highlight that cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to engine rebuilds, not that specifically, it has to be a hermetically sealed clean room. It's all just risk mitigation to avoid having to do it again and the average mechanics workshop I've been in is not clean enough IMVHO. And since this is the internet and things get quoted, I prefer to overstate rather than understate important things.
Matt, you'll be pleased to know that cleanliness has not been expunged from the engine building vocabulary after a major effort to gather all the appropriate gear into one place for the pre assembly effort. A box of lint free wipes, hot tank, air gun, tube brushes (engine assembly brushes), brake cleaner, various oils and greases all following the de-burring of the block, test tapping all threads, all adequately preserved with elbow grease.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm

I hope you weren't lying in bed worrying about this. I'm just a "muppet" on the internet. :)

A mate is just rebuilding his Chevy Turbo-Air 6 engine. Motor looked beautiful, but Jon (my mate) spotted too much shiny stuff in the oil. Now he's stripped it, he found all the threads "gritty" - it's looking like the builder had the whole block shotblasted and didn't clean it properly. Every single bearing and journal is shot.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 pm

That made me shudder. It's like doing open-heart surgery in a saw mill.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu May 13, 2021 12:55 pm

And such a shame - they're not 10 a penny motors any more.
Jon is an exceptional engineer though - the motor will go back together absolutely perfect.
Attachments
signal-2021-03-21-162128_001.jpeg
signal-2021-03-21-162128_003.jpeg
signal-2021-03-21-162207_002.jpeg
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Absolute shocker. :shock:
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu May 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm
I hope you weren't lying in bed worrying about this. I'm just a "muppet" on the internet. :)

A mate is just rebuilding his Chevy Turbo-Air 6 engine. Motor looked beautiful, but Jon (my mate) spotted too much shiny stuff in the oil. Now he's stripped it, he found all the threads "gritty" - it's looking like the builder had the whole block shotblasted and didn't clean it properly. Every single bearing and journal is shot.
No, I didn't let it keep me awake, really just to confirm that the normal standards weren't slipping. I had my block tanked after machining and now I'm doing it again myself. It wasn't bad but not to my standards, then again the bits I'm checking are manpower intensive and costs being what they are, no one is going to pay a Shop to be anal about stuff.

That chevy is criminal. No excuse for that standard, even if done in your back yard. Trouble is the cosworth fettled motors (let alone the yank iron) are getting rare so writing off a crank would be a minor disaster.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”