Reversing camera

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Reversing camera

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:12 am

Just looking at the options, more for completeness than need it seems.

For 20 year old cars the options are not huge. Plenty of the fully wired systems around and you need to use the rear view mirror style to avoid the separate / spare monitor looking like a spare at a wedding. You'd think that a bluetooth camera to your phone would be spot on but they seem to have been there and gone. So....

Does anyone know if a camera would connect up to the TV input in the original RNSE. I could change out my GPS for a garmin or whatever that does allow a camera on that screen but thats a last resort at this moment in time. They are a dime a dozen in newer cars and to retrofit or replace for later models but almost anything I'd jump at seems to have been and gone.

Any out there suggestions. I have a F&R dashcam so this is strictly for those times when reverse is engaged.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Reversing camera

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am

You can use the TV input on the RNS as long as you still have the TV tuner installed.

I have a very, very vague and unreliable recollection that there might be a way to get the RNSE to switch to the tv when reverse is engaged.

You might find something if you search through old posts.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:00 am

I have a kenwood reversing camera. Sits above the numberplate. Not that noticeable at all. I'd imagine someone would make a box of tricks that would take a standard reverse camera feed and turn it into whatever the RNS would like.

Mine already had a kenwood headunit so it wasn't too hard to get it working. It's useful just having it displayed while driving which you can do with the kenwood display. It then goes full screen when you go into reverse.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:22 pm

Standard RNS wants an RGB input for TV/video. Most cameras produce CVBS, so you need to convert the signal.
The OEM TV tuner will do that for you.
I don't have a TV tuner so have a separate converter box, no point in giving details as it's not been made in years.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 pm

I have one of these on the landrover and it's actually pretty good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224150573119
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 pm

Thanks all, heading off an an adventure Sunday so it will have to wait until I get back. Maybe I'll find some opal to pay for the fuel.
Mar2021.jpg
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”