Timing Components

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RS6Rottweiler
2nd Gear

Timing Components

Post by RS6Rottweiler » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi;

First can anyone confirm the mileage frequency for replacing timing belts etc on the RS6 BCY engine, I believe its 60,000 mile interval?

Then Im looking for some guidance on parts to replace when doing the timing belts, my car is coming up for 112,000 miles with the belts last replaced at 60,000. I see From the 7 Zap parts list that Audi do a toothed belt and roller kit for the engine but should I replace the tensioners at the same time? Also read somewhere that it is worth as the car has completed 120,000 to replace the water pump is this correct? I also read that the oil pump chain and tensioner are worth doing as these are prone to failure is this also correct and is it worth replacing the oil pump while I am at it? I'm hoping that someone can advise on what components I should replace considering the miles the engine has done. If someone has a parts list for this as well that would be greatly appreciated. I also assume that it is best to stick with OE parts for this job?

Look forward to hearing from you, cheers

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Timing Components

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:57 pm

OE for the timing gear.

Always change tensioners and idlers.

Change water pump and thermostat always.

40k miles interval according to user manual. 60k according to some other sources. You pays yer money...

Oil pump problems are extremely rare and pretty sure it’s an engine out job but I’d need to check. I certainly wouldn’t do it unless I suspected a problem or was stripping the engine.

Have a look at the FAQ for procedures and parts lists.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Timing Components

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”