DIY - How to mod your own tune (SAI Removal)

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Re: DIY - How to mod your own tune (SAI Removal)

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am

airtite wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:34 am
Classik wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:01 pm
I'm having a hard time injecting a custom map done by a pro mapper, it's constantly bricks my ecu. Looks like the nefarious 's checksum fixer (me7sum) doesn't work with the 7.1.1 http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/i ... ic=12947.0
Matt, pm sent in case you have some time to help :bowdown:
If you want you can send me your ori and the custom map and I can checksum the file for you. when you say it bricks your ecu checksum issues usually allow you to start the car once but after switch off wont start again.
Many thanks Airtite, PM sent! :thumbs:

Actually the car won't even start and the throttle body would clic constantly with key on. VCDS won't even access to the ECU, so really bricked yes, and bootmode flash with a working map (like ori) is the only option left.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am

PM sent

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:34 am

I am slightly skeptical of the new map. He should have reset the checksums for you, IMVHO?
I don't recall setting the checksums after my SAI mod being burdensome - although I am sorry to say I can't remember which tool I used. Either way, they were easy.
Is the tune he's given you back based on your original file, modified?
Because the tune file, IIRC, isn't "just" the map - it's the whole software stack the ECU runs, all of it.
Anyway - IIRC you can use tunerpro to do a diff between your old map and the new one - how different does it look?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

@Airtite : just downloaded the file, now I need to open up the ecu and inject your corrected map in bootmode. MANY thanks for your time, I'll report asap of course
@Matt : as a matter of facts, the mapper turned out to be an A$.h... and considers it's not his job to provide a map with a proper chksum... (facepalm emoticon)
Nevertheless, the full map (1024kB) is supposedly based on the original map. From my first analysis (not very deep yet as I'm still a total newbie as far as programming an ECU is concerned), main differences lie in injection map, turbo and pressure limiting maps (as expected). Any opinion on this map?
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:44 pm

I couldn't trust a map provided by someone that doesn't even do the checksum.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree. @Classik, what is the outcome you're trying to achieve with the new map?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:00 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:47 pm
I agree. @Classik, what is the outcome you're trying to achieve with the new map?
2 things : flexfuel (E85 + 98Ron) compatible, and proper use of the upgraded turbos.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:44 pm
I couldn't trust a map provided by someone that doesn't even do the checksum.
I'd certainly agree with that but since I have (and paid for) the map, I can at least see if the engine can start and make logs without pushing the engine... Also I have other RS6 owners (including my friend djbilbao famous for his flatulent google translations :wink: ) who had success with the same mapper so I'm not really a guinea pig in this respect.. ;)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Is Mihnea still doing maps out of KSF Chilly Mazarin?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:51 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Is Mihnea still doing maps out of KSF Chilly Mazarin?
Yes he is. However an other RS6 C5 owner with a config very similar to mine (big turbos) wasn't totally satisfied with his work. Hence our quest for another route, and why not trying to learn a thing or two in the process, and we'll try not to break anything in the process ;)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:54 pm

But he can't do the checksums for you and it's bricking your ECU and is only recoverable by putting it into boot mode?
I have never ever heard of a tuner not giving you a tune that you can't "just load".
And most tuners want to load it for you, with the tune locked so you can't easily give it to everyone else.
Also questioning the efficacy of producing a new tune for you to support both a different fuel & turbos without running it on the car on a rolling road.
I mean - a stage 1 map, all other things being equal - is bog standard and there's plenty of off the shelf
Even what they call stage 2 - with the different downpipes - there will be a library of stage 2 tunes that would be 95+ % of the way there, with just the odd tweak needed.
But different fuel & turbos (and therefore I assume downpipes, cat setup and so forth) - that's probably quite a one off, surely?

I remain skeptical, but wish you good luck nevertheless.
Classik wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:04 pm
...so I'm not really a guinea pig in this respect.. ;)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Think I'd only trust Mihnea for a map like this. I was totally convinced that he knew his <beep> and to be honest, I don't know many other tuners. I took a risk on a lady map from Viper and it's worked out fine. My preference would have been for Mihnea to do it for me but I passed up the opportunity when I had it because I hadn't yet decided that I wanted to mod the car in any way.

Who did your pre-turbo mod E85 map?

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Yes, I forget the source of my map, but it's also an off the shelf "lady map", modded by me to remove the SAI only.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:58 pm
Think I'd only trust Mihnea for a map like this. I was totally convinced that he knew his <beep> and to be honest, I don't know many other tuners. I took a risk on a lady map from Viper and it's worked out fine. My preference would have been for Mihnea to do it for me but I passed up the opportunity when I had it because I hadn't yet decided that I wanted to mod the car in any way.

Who did your pre-turbo mod E85 map?
CTF Performance

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:06 pm

PM Shopp, Matt, airtite

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”