DIY - How to mod your own tune (SAI Removal)

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Foxmeister
4th Gear

Re: DIY - How to mod your own tune (SAI Removal)

Post by Foxmeister » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 am

airtite wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:36 am
Foxmeister wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 am
mavada wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:53 pm
Thinking about it, in flipper S mode, does the MTM tcu hit the rev limiter before/without changing gear automatic?
I seem to remember when i drove in s mode at about 4500rpm for some time, it would change to a lower gear...
That is very annoying.
Thats what i really want to have changed in mine in the near future.
Sure i read somewhere that the design of the box/software is if there is no driver input when in manual mode for 5seconds or more, then it goes back to automatic as standard
I have found that if you move the gear lever over into tip tronic mode ie across from D then the car tends to stay in whatever gear you select unless either the rpm is too low or too high so gear down condition or gear up condition
You might be right there, i rarely use tip mode but i do recall once it did hang gears for a while and eventually changed when pushed up the rev range, i'll have a try at that again myself, i think i have MTM software so not sure if my TCU could differ slightly

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:15 pm

The MTM is a bit different. In tiptro, it won't change up if you hit the rev limiter (unlike the OE TCU). At least, that's how I remember it. Been a while since I let the car hit the rev limiter. It will change down if the revs go low enough so you don't stall.

Both will keep the gear you are in when you put it in tiptro unless you hit a change condition. This is normal behaviour.

If you use the paddles while in D then the car automatically switches to tiptro mode and then, when there are no further inputs from the paddles for a few seconds, it switches back to D.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:25 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:15 pm
The MTM is a bit different. In tiptro, it won't change up if you hit the rev limiter (unlike the OE TCU). At least, that's how I remember it. Been a while since I let the car hit the rev limiter. It will change down if the revs go low enough so you don't stall.

Both will keep the gear you are in when you put it in tiptro unless you hit a change condition. This is normal behaviour.

If you use the paddles while in D then the car automatically switches to tiptro mode and then, when there are no further inputs from the paddles for a few seconds, it switches back to D.
Ive never drove it on the limit so that makes sense, roads arent very forgiving of that kind of driving here and i dont want to push the old girl that hard... until i get belts done :rocker:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:34 pm

I enjoy tiptro - and certainly on mine, it will change up or down if you hit the rev limit or too low (1500rpm rings a bell).
Even just cruising, when on some twists and turns I prefer tiptro mode so it holds the gear I want rather than constantly changing.
I tell myself this is better for the gearbox too.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:44 pm

If I’m having fun: tiptro.

If I’m on my way to or from having fun: D.

Never S.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:49 pm

Yes. Have only ever engaged S just to make sure it works after some surgery.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:01 pm

@gregstv - do you manage successfully edit and upload your own map in the end?

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:54 pm

Hi Matt,
After seeing the changes you did I checked mine. It was already done in the 034 tune. Disconnected the pump and blocked the vacuum line. No light or fault listed.

Thank you.

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:37 pm

I see someone's been getting up to mischief since the last time i was on here ;)
Recycling dinosaurs for fun

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Yeah, thanks for your help those (8) years ago.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”