Headlining removal

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
ChrisA
4th Gear

Re: Headlining removal

Post by ChrisA » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Without seeing where yours has failed I can’t be sure but personally I don’t think it’s a good idea for a few reasons.

1, if the foam is failing in one part it’s not going to be long before it fails in another area
2, I can’t see how you’ll not end up with a bumpy me behind the Alcantara as you’ve not scrapped all the old foam off.
3, trying to get the right amount of glue to the area you need without making a stick mess or over saturating the Alcantara is going to be very hard.

It’s really not very hard, just time consuming. Are you local to me (Hampshire)? I’d be happy to help you do this, I think with two of us on it we could have it out, cleaned and refoamed in a day. You can then leave it with me, return at another time and we could re trim in another day. (Or get some new Alcantara as Matt has which has the foam attached to it and we’ll probably knock it out in a day)

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:30 am

As said, worth doing, worth doing well, however, you have little to loose in trying a temp repair. Foam will last 15-20 years but I feel that there will be something better around to give that quality feel. I haven't looked but even a quality felt or a rubber sheet of some type may be better.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:19 am

May be something like a thin sheet of urethane foam

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Cheers for the advice. It will be a winter job I think. I’m moving house next month so once it’s back in the garage there I can remove it over the winter and sort it. Cheers for the offer of help but I’m not that local to you. It shows the quality of the forum with members willing to help like that

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Whereabouts are you?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 am

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:15 pm
Whereabouts are you?

Town called Redditch, about 15 miles south of Birmingham mate

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:55 pm

A free tutorial for headliner removal :

https://www.fichier-ppt.fr/2014/02/02/d ... it-rs6-c5/
Password (mot de passe to be dialed in the appropriate field): azertyuiop

It's in French but should be easy enough to translate. Most probably not as pro & comprehensive as the Totaltechnik one, but he, it's free and should be enough for a DIY project.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 am

Which link do we need to click on mate to get it working

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:02 am

Human Joist wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 am
Which link do we need to click on mate to get it working
Yeah I realise it's not straightforward if you don't speak a bit of French, missed that mate, sorry.
Actually in the middle of the page there's a grey rectangle link tagged 'télécharger' (=download). Next to it there's a white field with 3 dots, dial the password (azertyuiop) there then click on 'Télécharger '. Normally download should begin instantly.

Again don't expect a flashy presentation, it's quite the opposite actually (!) but looks like all the major steps and tips are there to help the process, along with photos. I haven't tried the procedure for myself yet, so at your own risk of course.
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:22 am

PDF'd it for ya:
demontage-ciel-de-toit-rs6-c5.pdf
(7.29 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks Shopp! :thumbs:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:03 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:50 am
@ 'Man-J' this is the one I followed on my MG. I will do the same technique on the RS : http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/in ... lining.htm

@Anyone
Have just checked the sample cards I have against the RS:
  • In "real" alcantara, it's Charcoal, code 6422
  • In Milano Suede,it's Dark Grey, code 620
The real alcantara is an exact match as far as my eyes can tell - however you'll need to add your own foam backing I suspect.
The milano is close, but not exact, both colour & texture wise, but available pre-backed with foam, more compliant/stretchable and half the price - for a headlining, I think it'd be fine, and also easier....but......if I replace the headlining in mine, I will stump for the real stuff for originality sake - I just put it it as a choice for people since if it's your first time having a go at this type of stuff - alcantara is an expensive way to learn if you're not 100% confident...

So there I was wondering what the correct colour alcantara is and it turns out I looked this up before. Can anyone recommend a decent automotive upholsterer for me that can do it though. Not sure I can face diying it after read chris’ guide.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:19 am

There was one that was recommended about a year or so ago that sounded really good and reasonable. Sorry, can’t remember any more than that. Hopefully someone else will.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 am

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:03 pm
Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:50 am
@ 'Man-J' this is the one I followed on my MG. I will do the same technique on the RS : http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/in ... lining.htm

@Anyone
Have just checked the sample cards I have against the RS:
  • In "real" alcantara, it's Charcoal, code 6422
  • In Milano Suede,it's Dark Grey, code 620
The real alcantara is an exact match as far as my eyes can tell - however you'll need to add your own foam backing I suspect.
The milano is close, but not exact, both colour & texture wise, but available pre-backed with foam, more compliant/stretchable and half the price - for a headlining, I think it'd be fine, and also easier....but......if I replace the headlining in mine, I will stump for the real stuff for originality sake - I just put it it as a choice for people since if it's your first time having a go at this type of stuff - alcantara is an expensive way to learn if you're not 100% confident...

So there I was wondering what the correct colour alcantara is and it turns out I looked this up before. Can anyone recommend a decent automotive upholsterer for me that can do it though. Not sure I can face diying it after read chris’ guide.
Happy to pop over and help you with it. It’s an easy enough job, just needs time and patience. Would have been a lot easier with a second pair of hands. 👍

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:42 pm

@Chris - when you did this, did you remove the front plastic surround for the lights - or did you leave that in situ (and the alcantara attached around it) and just work around it all?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”