Transmission fluid change

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
ChrisA
4th Gear

Transmission fluid change

Post by ChrisA » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi guys

The transmission fluid on my wife’s 2010 Skoda Superb estate needs changing. I’ve had a look on the forums and found a nice How too and have been recommended this pump to do the job, but it’s only worth doing if I can use the tool and experience on the RS as the cost of the part covers the labour required and I’m not likely to need to do it on the Skoda again. So is this pump comparable with the RS filling hole?

https://www.mccormicktools.co.uk/sealey ... gJh8PD_BwE

Cheers,
Chris

Puggie
3rd Gear

Re: Transmission fluid change

Post by Puggie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:58 pm

That will do the job, I made one from a 5l garden sprayer and some 10mm plumbing bits (compression fit ball valve and a couple of 90deg bends from memory) works a treat and I probably had change from £25!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 pm

I find that I end up with a cluttered garage with tools everywhere that I hardly ever use. Then when I want one takes me a day to find it.
So I tend to leave most stuff to the “experts”
However diy does mean that the job has been done with the knowledge that it has has been done right and thoroughly.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:23 am

steve2003rs6 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 pm
I find that I end up with a cluttered garage with tools everywhere that I hardly ever use. Then when I want one takes me a day to find it.
So I tend to leave most stuff to the “experts”
However diy does mean that the job has been done with the knowledge that it has has been done right and thoroughly.
By definition the DIY owner is hardly likely to use the special tools often, cam lock bar every 4 years etc for example under ideal conditions. However, the more common model cars you have, the more use, so buying a second RS always looks less daunting under those conditions.

For you guys where experts are relatively close to hand, I can understand. For us where they are between few and none, the special tools are a real lifesaver. Most mechanics at my local Audi were in nappies when the RS was released so while they have access to the tools, I'm less than confident that they are up to speed on the inner knowledge, manuals not withstanding. I've only recently transferred my special tools from a million blow mould cases into a wheeled tool trolley. 1.5 Mtr tall and totally full. A bit of an eye opener but at least I know where they all are now.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 am

Buying new tools for the job at hand is half the fun

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Human Joist wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 am
So true

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I use this (or something very similar) for ATF replacement on the RS6:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNATEX-Syphon ... B00KCOQI1Y
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm

Human Joist wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 am
I suspect I have more special tools than regular tools. Some of them have only been used once. Some never. :oops:

I bought the full set of valve clearance adjustment tools from BMW for the M3. Totally don't regret it - I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it.

The satisfaction of having exactly the right tool for the job is worth the price alone I find. :)
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm
I use this (or something very similar) for ATF replacement on the RS6:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNATEX-Syphon ... B00KCOQI1Y
Thanks for the recommendation, that price is very tempting. My only reservation with this is that I can see me arsing about trying to keep the outlet end in the filling hole, nocking over bottles of oil between transfers and generally losing my rag with it. The unit I’ve posted seems to have correct threads to screw into the oil fill hole (can anyone confirm the thread will take a M22) , a secure container to put the oil in and looks a lot more stable.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:13 pm

Only 3 litre capacity, though, so you are going to have to stop and quickly refill and repressurise halfway through. I can't remember how much it takes before you have to start the engine. Not enough, I suspect.

What's the point of the threaded adapter? Am I missing something? The fill hole is M30 IIRC, but if you screw something in there, how will you know when the level is correct?

I guess you could fill it through the drain hole, but you'd have to quickly remove the adapter and put the plug on without losing too much ATF.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:18 pm

ChrisA wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm
My only reservation with this is that I can see me arsing about trying to keep the outlet end in the filling hole,
You're over thinking it. Before I did my first one, I saw loads of posts about people using boat pumps and fabricating copper bent pipes and stuff which made me think it was voodoo. I just stuck the tube in the fill hole and never had a problem.

ChrisA wrote:
nocking over bottles of oil between transfers and generally losing my rag with it.
Yes, this is annoying and will happen if you use the one litre bottles like I do. I considered tipping them into a bigger container, but I didn't want to waste any ATF at the price Audi charge for it.

I got my long-suffering wife to help with making sure the bottles stayed upright and swapping over to a new one when empty.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:18 pm
ChrisA wrote:
My only reservation with this is that I can see me arsing about trying to keep the outlet end in the filling hole,
You're over thinking it. Before I did my first one, I saw loads of posts about people using boat pumps and fabricating copper bent pipes and stuff which made me think it was voodoo. I just stuck the tube in the fill hole and never had a problem.
You’re right. And I think I have confused myself by reading about both the Skoda and Audi procedure. 🤦‍♂️ This is the Skoda procedure I’ll be following if you’re interested...
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... il-change/

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:48 pm

From the invoice I got on Friday. The RS Transmission take 8 litres.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 pm

steve2003rs6 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:48 pm
From the invoice I got on Friday. The RS Transmission take 8 litres.
Cheers Steve.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm

But order 9 to give yourself an extra litre when you knock one over.
I've always just used one of these with the end shortened to hook into the box filler - although with only a 1 litre capacity, it does required certain amount of rapid fannying about to load 8 litres in quickly
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”