Oil filter relocation

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Puggie
3rd Gear

Oil filter relocation

Post by Puggie » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:13 pm

So i decided as the SAI was a bit pointless, I removed it and was looking for something useful to do with the space. The standard oil filter is a PITA to get to, even worse with a hot hiss ARB fitted. So i decided to relocate the filter to somewhere more easy access.
I used a Mocal relocation plate that is basically a sandwich plate and top cap to replace the filter. Ran the lines in AN-10 from here through the wheel arch and into the engine bay. Some light trimming was required where the hose runs into the arch. The filter is a BMW X5 item but I think all bimmer V8 filter housings are more or less the same. These basically have a screw cap top and take a big paper filter, dead easy to change, you just screw the top off, fish the floating filter out, bung it on a tray to deal with later and pop a new filter in. The mount is just bent steel bar to meet the original SAI mounts.

The other fancy hoses are to the Setrab oil cooler replacing the OE cooler at the front.

Pic may make things a bit clearer.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Re: Oil filter relocation

Post by IchBautAuto » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks, much appreciated. Nice job too.

EDIT: Having had some time to check out whats what, I see that Mocal has two oil filter fittings, the J & K, with top or side entry. Any particular reason why you chose the K fitting. Reason I ask is that we have a local firm Aeroflow, that does a huge range of fittings and hoses and actually make remote oil filter kits. The one they offer in kit form is a top entry with 90 deg hose fittings (that is much like the Mocal J fitting). I need to ruminate some on the benefits of your kit, which is really well thought out, as opposed to the filter kit on offer here.
AF64-2042.jpg
Benefits, it is a full kit in a box, ready to go. downsides, it uses a standard filter (of which I have many) so the bonus of the paper filter and attractive change process that you have is lost. That's about all that I can immediately see as a downside, but I have yet to sus out where I would place the remote filter, so that may be another once I do that.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:27 am

With that top mount the hoses have to turn 180 degrees to get back towards the front. I thought this a neater solution going through the spare wheel well. I bought the top mount take off first thinking it would be better, then changed my mind.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:21 am

Ah ha, it all becomes clear(er). That may be a decider after all.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:20 am

What do you guys think of canister vs cartridge filters?

I thought cartridge ones were old school and not really used these days, but this post makes me think otherwise?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 am

Like everything, the filter canister was developed for convenience. Doesn't mean it's better. The filter on the unimog is an element but it is upside down so changing it is very messy. Having an element housing reversed would make it very useful in my view. Just pluck it out the top. Efficiency wise, If the filter composition you're using in an canister or cartridge is the same material then it'll do the same job. I particularly like the increased size of the BMW housing, the RS6 filter is compromised by it's size. The 2.7 allroad V6 engine has an oil filter nearly twice the size of the V8.

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Lovely stuff here chaps. Always love the sight of AN fittings. :nodder:

I must admit I prefer the canister filters as I’m always scared of the plastic tops on cartridge ones breaking. Ok they look more standard if that’s what you’re going for.

I had a remote filter on my FIAT years ago as the standard filter was a complete PITA to get to - and very close to the down pipe.

Depending on how you mount the filter it’s worth double checking that you have a filter which has an anti drain back valve too. Most have them to be honest though.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am

You guys do know it's possible to remove the filter without removing anything? You can get your arm in through the side. It's a bit of a tight fit though and you inevitably leak oil on the subframe and so forth - a nice remote filter solution like ^^ is excellent.

Personally, I like the Fram HP1 filter - it's amongst the biggest available easy to get filters that uses a standard 3/4 thread too - so that's probably the path I'd go down. On the boat motor I run a pair of them in parallel - I got carried away. (I wanted enough capacity that it never uses the bypass valve in the filters).

It is also possible to remove the cooler sandwich plate entirely (part no. 078115405A) and just have an adaptor like Puggie used above that daisy chains both the remote filter and cooler together - that would be quite an elegant solution that I spent some time thinking about before - but decided at the time to just put the car back together and enjoy it a bit. (just before lock down when I ended up sorning it instead!)

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Yep, getting that filter off is a faff I didn't want to repeat. I did my oil cooler swap first, otherwise I may have run this all out of one sandwich plate as you suggest. This was a bit of an after thought. It does give me the option to run a thermostatic plate to the oil cooler though if I choose.

The BMW setup does have a non return valve in there and even an oil pressure switch if you wanted to hook that up.

If anyone is interested I will measure up all the pipework while its off.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Yeah, I figured this was probably a version to meet your immediate needs - but worth calling out solely because if someone's doing the cooler lines, it'd be worth losing the sandwich plate and doing the cooler lines & filter combo together in one job.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:40 am

Yes please for the pipework measurements. Huge ideas about the options for the cooler while at it. I toyed with ordering a MOCAL fitting but the 1 month plus wait threw me off it but I did find that Aeroflow do a similar fitting so I've gone with that.
AF64-2098.jpg
I started looking at the X5 filter body and noticed that the ones I found actually don't have threaded oilways. Either there are other versions or you've tapped / inserted helicoils???
BMW-X5-SUV-E53-2001-Gas-Oil-Filter.jpg
BMW-X5-SUV-E53-2001-Gas-Oil-Filter.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
I did notice that on the BMW sites that many owners seem to have had issues with the filter element. I have no idea whether it is poor maintenance, cheapo replacements or something else but that and the cost at wreckers may well see that idea out for me despite it's attractions. Personally I have used cartridges all my working life with no issues but I won't deny the attractions of the spin on element. Like the thought of the Framm too, so rejig the drawing board.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 am

It's here. Thanks Puggie for the kick start to getting this done. Very happy with the quality of the parts, now just have to slot it into the program.
remote kit.jpg

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am

They look very smart in black. I only went Goodridge as I was getting very good discounts through work at the time.

I'll take some better pics and measurements at the weekend of how mine is run. Yours will be different no doubt but its always nice to have a start point to work out what you would do differently.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm

For UK guys, I always recommend using https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/torquesuk now.
Excellent stock and excellent quality. Plus loads of stuff in black!

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:43 am

Puggie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am
They look very smart in black. I only went Goodridge as I was getting very good discounts through work at the time.

I'll take some better pics and measurements at the weekend of how mine is run. Yours will be different no doubt but its always nice to have a start point to work out what you would do differently.

All info gratefully received. The hose is black stainless sheathed high temp, 250 deg C vs the kit hose at 150 deg C. Your fit would have been cheaper via the UK and I had some vendors noted but the latest post delays are just frustrating. This was two days.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”