New owner + maintenance log

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
dwh13
Neutral

New owner + maintenance log

Post by dwh13 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Hey all, just "inherited" an 03 Mugello Blue RS6 from a friend who was ready to move into a newer RS model. It's exactly how I would have spec'ed one from the factory (too bad we didn't get the Avant here in the US!). 135k miles, good maintenance history (DRC was replaced about 20k miles ago, new front brakes, etc.).

I say "inherited" because it needed new EGT sensors, and his Shop quoted him an engine-out replacement. That was the push he needed to send her my way. I re-soldered the circuit boards in about 30 minutes and all is well! (I did order the replacement boards from Andrzej in Poland, but decided to try the re-solder instead of letting it sit for a month. So far so good, so if anyone needs the boards, give me a shout!)

Other than that, it needs new CV axles (getting replaced Monday) and an ABS module rebuild. Other than that, I've thoroughly been enjoying learning about this thing, as I've never had anything near this powerful before.

I'll keep a running maintenance log here of sorts for anyone who is interested. Cheers!

Last edited by dwh13 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'03 Mugello Blue RS6, 135k
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Re: New owner + maintenance log

Post by steve2003rs6 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Welcolme to the forum of these amasing cars. Hope you have many miles of happy motoring.
Will follow your journey with interest and well done with the fixes you have already made.
Regards Steve.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm

As Steve said. Looking forward to following your adventure. 👍

MeTsU
2nd Gear

Post by MeTsU » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Welcome - look forward you seeing how things progress.
2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus #283

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Here's what I've gotten done so far:

Replaced hood strut
Re-soldered the EGT sensors
Lubed the creaky door hinges
Replaced the side marker light housings
New cabin air filter
Replaced the rear exhaust hanger that had broken
Replaced the coolant temp sensor that was causing a CEL
Replaced the spark plugs
Cleaned the MAFs
Replaced the DS door lock switch
Tried and failed to replace the CVs myself - damn triple square bolts

Plus a good cleaning and some small other things. She's getting the axles replaced Monday and a ABS module rebuild and should be all sorted!
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Looks like you are doing some good work. Great pics. Hope all is well after the effort you have put in.
Sounds like you got it cheap and have the skills to put it right. Always a great combination.

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:52 pm

Had a scary issue pop up this morning. Drove the RS about half a mile to get a tail light bulb. Noticed a CEL came on, pulled codes P0491 and P0492, both for SAI insufficient flow. Cleared it and didn't think much of it. Got my bulbs, got back in the car, and had to give it a lot of gas to get it to start, and it continued to stall at idle. Limped it home, and figured I hadn't connected the air intake correctly. Got it seated, and it cranked right up, but then I heard a hissing noise. Looked all around, and right in front of me was with a disconnected air line (put back together - it's the black and yellow hose). According to the parts diagram there are supposed to be clamps on each end, so I'll hit up the parts store today for some proper replacements.

No issues since, so fingers crossed that's all it was! Love the simple fixes.
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 am

Thats an aftermarket piece of hose and too short. I'd get a longer piece of correct hose and then add clamps.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm

IchBautAuto wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 am
Thats an aftermarket piece of hose and too short. I'd get a longer piece of correct hose and then add clamps.
Just finished that this morning.

BUT...

I cranked it up to check my work, and my low coolant light came on. Checked the reservoir, and it has almost emptied itself in a week. I crawled underneath, and found coolant dripping from just behind the DS CV joint. So I'm thinking one of two things: either I knicked a line while working on the CV, or my new coolant temp sensor isn't seated correctly. However, I can't find a drop of coolant around the sensor. I'm really hoping it isn't one of the coolant lines down there, as the consensus seems to be engine out to replace...

Oh, and something is smoking from the rear of the engine. Thought it was seepage from the VCGs but it's still smoking after a brake cleaner bath. So that's fun :jump_clap:
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:30 pm

dwh13 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm
I crawled underneath, and found coolant dripping from just behind the DS CV joint.
Could be a coincidence but that is where the notorious buffkin (oil cooler) pipe is...
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:16 pm

dwh13 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm
IchBautAuto wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 am
Just finished that this morning.

BUT...

I cranked it up to check my work, and my low coolant light came on. Checked the reservoir, and it has almost emptied itself in a week. I crawled underneath, and found coolant dripping from just behind the DS CV joint. So I'm thinking one of two things: either I knicked a line while working on the CV, or my new coolant temp sensor isn't seated correctly. However, I can't find a drop of coolant around the sensor. I'm really hoping it isn't one of the coolant lines down there, as the consensus seems to be engine out to replace...

Oh, and something is smoking from the rear of the engine. Thought it was seepage from the VCGs but it's still smoking after a brake cleaner bath. So that's fun :jump_clap:
Good news on this re: leaking coolant - I finally got the right angle to see that the coolant temp sensor was wet and dripping onto some braided steel lines below. Pulled the sensor (should have started there honestly) and found that when I installed it, the o-ring didn't seat properly:

Took her on her maiden voyage to see my parents, about a 3 hour drive. Didn't lose a drop of coolant, and no hiccups beyond a random headlight level warning that hasn't come back, except...

Someone backed into us in a highway median :thumbsdown: luckily they stopped and we got a report, so back to the Shop she goes!
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:20 am

:(
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Oh no. How unlucky. Hope it is all sorted very soon.
And you can get back to an enjoyable drive.

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Spent a couple hours wrenching on the RS yesterday. I've been getting intermittent ABS/BRAKE/ESP warning lights, and the handful of scanners I've tried can't communicate with it. No symptoms other than the lights, so I figured it had to be the common ABS module going bad. Ripped it out to get rebuilt by ModuleMasters. Cheers to this video on how to remove it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ay0utqoceU (if you're doing this, the major difference between the A6 in the video and RS6 is the intercooler shroud makes removing the washer bottle a PITA. After about an hour of fiddling, I just yanked it out with force. Didn't break anything...yet :audibash:

We've had storms sweeping through the southeastern US lately, and just as I finished yanking the ABS module, I noticed this in the passenger floorboard:

Snaked some weed eater line through the drain tube and she didn't seem to take on any more water during last night's storm. I've got a fan blowing out the interior now. Always something!
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

dwh13
Neutral

Post by dwh13 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm

I think I figured out my water leak - I noticed first that my windshield cowl was loose around the right hand side

Pulled the larger underhood cowl off, and noticed this weather stripping dangling (I probably pulled it loose when I replaced the cabin filter)

You can see the pooled water in the airbox, so I resealed the weather stripping, cleaned out the metal channel the cowl pops into, and am crossing my fingers as I watch the rain clouds roll in again.

Shout out to this old thread for the guide - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre ... owl-Advice
'14 Lexus GX460
'16 VW Golf Sportwagen

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”