Front, center, lower grill options

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
ChrisA
4th Gear

Front, center, lower grill options

Post by ChrisA » Sun May 31, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi guys

I need to replace the above grill. Thankfully the part still seems to be available, however I don’t expect to stay available for long. I can imagine that this part often takes a bit of a beating and looks very easy to break. Are there any custom built replacement, I’ve had a look but can’t find anything.

If not I’m very tempted to see if a metal grill could be made to the same style as the OEM unit. Has anyone looked into this?

Can someone please confirm if the aluminium edge is just plastic painted in an aluminium finish.

Cheers,
Chris.

ahoooga
5th Gear

Re: Front, center, lower grill options

Post by ahoooga » Sun May 31, 2020 4:47 pm

I wouldn't say those grills take a beating as such, and would personally stick with OE\M if there available.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun May 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Yeah, I've not seen any worn / damaged grills. Can happen though. Still, where do you stop?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun May 31, 2020 7:31 pm

Correct, it's just plastic and not metal. Mine is badly tarnished and also the clips have become very brittle that hold it in place, mostly along the top edge. When it's in place, the top edge leans over and does not hold in place.

Therefore it's currently not on the car. I plan to maybe clean it up or wrap it black and then just glue it back in place once done.

ChrisA
4th Gear

Post by ChrisA » Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Fair enough. I guess as I was looking for replacement ideas I was bound to read that people were having issues with them but if it’s not really a problem I’ll just by a new OEM one. 👍

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 am

ja I just repaired mine after a low level flying bunny rabbit had an encounter with mine.....

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:16 am

An actual tumbleweed took out my M3 grill near Madrid once. So I guess anything can happen.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”