Spongy brake pedal

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Re: Spongy brake pedal

Post by Classik » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:39 am

Hey Shopp, thanks for asking !
Actually I've undertaken a major overhaul of the brake system, which is almost the last thing I haven't changed in my car
:smile_smoking:
As such I've purchased new TRW rear callipers/ TRW master cylinder+ brake booster servo, and a pair of Zimmermann rear discs (as per your recommandation).

Before taking the plunge and doing the repair myself at my (very slow) pace, I'm now just waiting for the brake booster Servo release tool (T0006) and the brake purge tool presented a few posts above ^^. Of course I'll keep you guys posted either when it's done... or if I need some help in the process :)

Talking about VERY specialized tools that will only serve once in my life, this one (T0006 release tool) is an excellent example! :thumb:
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am

So I did my dad's car with the Sealey kit. Purged with one litre then bled with another. It works well. Brakes are nice and firm.

At first (dry test) it wasn't holding pressure and I couldn't understand why, but I hadn't tightened the filler lid enough. I realised after finishing the job that the supplied lever that was lurking in the bottom of the box was for exactly this reason: tightening the filler cap.

Other than that, it's important to keep the pressure vessel level, or at least leaning in the right direction. The pick up pipe for the fluid is on the right and if you lean the bottle to the left, it could suck in air instead of fluid.

Bled at 30psi. No problem. Pressure doesn't drop much while bleeding so it can be a one man job to do the brakes with topping the pressure up occasionally. Certainly it's a lot more convenient than the Eezibleed. I'll try it on my RS one of these days.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon May 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Glad it worked well for you.
Yeah, I found the airbox angle is fine as long as the bottle is standing the right way, too.
Actually took mine out for a drive on saturday to drop the weekly shopping off for my mum. It made a nice change from the Mazda 5 1.6 diesel.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Some progress: master cylinder is now out, the servo is no longer attached to the brake pedal (I urge anyone willing to change the servo to buy the tool above^^, would have been a pita without), but I'm struggling to take the servo out of the car, everything is so tight in here. Any bright idea?
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

Got a photo?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Sure, see below.

After further attemps, seems like my only option is to uninstall what seems to be called the cowl panel grille.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 2:40 pm

What’s stopping you from tilting it up?

If you remove the heater matrix pipes can you swivel it round to the left?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Oh, I see. Looks like the trim under the windscreen needs to come off.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 2:42 pm

Good excuse to get rid of those wipers and put some sexy ones on.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Haha, you know what? I was expecting this lol

Edit: disappointed I am, I was also expecting some comments on my coolant cap...
Last edited by Classik on Sat May 16, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:41 pm
Oh, I see. Looks like the trim under the windscreen needs to come off.
Exactly. As we speak I'm currently fighting against the vipers' arms looks like they never been removed since 2003... WD40 and my thermal gun are my only friends here as my extractor tool can't be used in such a tiny space (talking about specialized tools that can't even be used once..)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

You can get those tiny blowtorches for precision heating. I heat one side of the seized assembly then apply a candle to the hot metal. It pulls molten wax in through capillary action and I find it works better than release oil alone.

Had some success on exhaust studs like that.

Also it’s not a bad thing that it’s all coming off. The linkage needs regular lubrification or it starts to seize. Very common on the RS6.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Classik wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Haha, you know what? I was expecting this lol

Edit: disappointed I am, I was also expecting some comments on my coolant cap...
Loser, with your VW coolant cap.

Better?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Kind of... :mrgreen: But the looser succeeded to get those viper's arms off. Next challenge is the trim.... :audibash:

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Be careful with that trim it's very brittle when old. Might be worth warming it up slightly first. Good news is they are still available from Audi / TPS @ £35.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”