Spongy brake pedal

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Spongy brake pedal

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm

For lack of a better word, the brake pedal doesn't feel as firm as I think it should be.

Full story is that it started like 2 months ago with a standard maintenance brake fluid change and brake hose replacement on all 4 wheels with those HEL hoses: https://www.ultraperformance.fr/durites ... nte=333845 . 10 days later I had a brake warning on the dashboard that was easily cured by filling a few cc of brake fluid into the system, then I forgot about the whole thing, thinking some fluid was missing due to the recent intervention. Fast forward 1 month later for the MOT that failed due to a leaking rear calliper, which obviously explained the above brake warning..

As of now I've changed both rear callipers (for TRW ones) and made a brake fluid bleed on all 4 wheels (didn't get much air), then did a 400 meters trip (yes 400 meters due to the confinement..) to check everything's fine. Good new is that there's no more leak, but as the title says I'm not happy at all with the feeling on the pedal (despite numerous pumping) and I don't get a firm bite & grip as good as I think it was.

In your opinion, would you say the car needs to run for more than a few hundreds meters for things be back to normal, or is there something else to worry about, like the master cylinder or the brake servo. FWIW visual inspection on both the master cylinder of the servo didn't show any sign of wear or corrosion. Or maybe those HEL hoses are not as good as they should?
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Spongy brake pedal

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

If you maintain pressure on the brake pedal when stationary with the engine running, does the pedal slowly sink?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm
If you maintain pressure on the brake pedal when stationary with the engine running, does the pedal slowly sink?
Well it doesn't go down to the floor as when I had a leak, but it's not clear cut. When I hit the pedal there's a first point of resistance, but then it very slowly sinks to a second point where it would stop for good, like 15cm from the floor. No scientific measurements, but the first point of resistance mentioned just above is where the pedal would stop before it all began.
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:18 pm

Sounds like you’ve still got air in there. How did you bleed? And did you purge?

If your level went down too much you might have some air in there drawn in through the reservoir. It’ll be a pain to get out. You’ll need to purge with lots of fluid.

When I purge I buy lots of cheap ECP type fluid (cos it’s gonna go in the bin) then when I’m sure it’s all been purged I put the good stuf in.

This used to be much easier when you could get ATE super blue.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:24 pm

I did [edit] bleed with the usual Gunson Eezybleed... But I wasn't aware I need lots of fluid.My understanding was that you let the first bubles of air go out then when you get a continuous leak of fluid, you're done.
Started Front left, front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, to push the air from the reservoir to the most farthest wheel.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Full purge was done 2 months ago, so the fluid is clear & clean as new (which it is).

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:37 pm

So to summarize I want to purge the circuit with as much fluid as I can afford. Shall I do it through the front left, or at the contrary through the rear right?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 pm

Classik wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm
Full purge was done 2 months ago, so the fluid is clear & clean as new (which it is).
Was this before or after the low fluid alarm?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm

Purge was done by the mechanic like 10 days before the fluid alarm.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm

I've upgraded from Gunson easibleed to this, which I ran at 30-35PSI. I am completely won over, it's good, having used easibleeds for 20+ years.

Previously my brake pedal was just a little too spongy (done by garage and then I asked them to do it again), so this time I did it myself.
Like Shopp, I do tend to put a fair bit of fluid through, especially when starting from scratch.
I also cycled the ABS unit (not necessary officially, but I could so I did) via VCDS.

The only issue now is with new calipers, master cylinder discs and pads all round, the pedal is super light and super responsive - by far the best it's ever been.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 pm

I’m going to get one based on your recommendation.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 pm

My point was that if you sucked some air in through the reservoir then you’re going to have to put a lot of fluid through the system to get the air out. You confirmed that the purge was before this event so there could be air in there.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:39 pm

In my case, my system was empty. Between getting fluid through and no bubbles at all was a surprising amount - including multiple circuits of the system

(Which I think backs up Ben’s point)
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Thank you all for the follow up.
Just tried again a few minutes ago : now the pedal goes all the way through to the floor :evil: : Furthermore there's a fluid leak at the same wheel that caused me troubles in the first place, which is strange as the calliper has been changed.
Too late for further investigation as we speak, but I start to wonder if there could be something fishy with this HEL brake hose (banjo connector?), more later..

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 pm

Your not missing a copper washer on the banjo bolt or anything? I.e there needs to be 2 - one on each side
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”