RS6 in pieces.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Re: RS6 in pieces.

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:57 pm

I was talking to Gregstv about alternators when his gem popped up. I've been chasing a spare alternator and it's a real minefield out there. Other than the myriad of totally unknown names on some of the offerings and some border on the fraudulent in being offered for the RS6, the majority of usable offerings are the 140 amp bosch alternator suitable for both the 2.7 and 4.2 C6 range, mostly reconditioned, then the reconditioned genuine part number and finally just a few genuine new audi alternators. They actually work out cheaper as no core charge. I've ordered a new unit and now just need to wait.

Agree that zimmermanns and pagids can be bought for a song. Far better than the B5 RS4 rotors which are rolled gold.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 am

The breaks on my car are near new. Won't be needing to change for some time. Seeing I already have these rotors and have plenty of time, I might keep an eye out for C6 calipers as an option.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 am

IchBautAuto wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:57 pm
I was talking to Gregstv about alternators when his gem popped up. I've been chasing a spare alternator and it's a real minefield out there. Other than the myriad of totally unknown names on some of the offerings and some border on the fraudulent in being offered for the RS6, the majority of usable offerings are the 140 amp bosch alternator suitable for both the 2.7 and 4.2 C6 range, mostly reconditioned, then the reconditioned genuine part number and finally just a few genuine new audi alternators. They actually work out cheaper as no core charge. I've ordered a new unit and now just need to wait.

Agree that zimmermanns and pagids can be bought for a song. Far better than the B5 RS4 rotors which are rolled gold.
Good news update: Way back I mentioned I was after a spare alternator. Locally our regional spare parts stock is in Singapore for VAG items. VW can't get a new unit and no RX items available either. Audi could get an alternator but only from Germany and unsure if it was new or reman and months away at best case. Revert to the US. Audi US have new units at a good price too but no dealer will ship OS. Understandable I guess. Almost all the US aftermarket VAG sources are selling the Bosch 140 Amp alternator for the RS6, not the specified part.

Found an outlet that advertised new units at a more expensive price than the Audi network but still OK or an OE reman unit that was actually more expensive than the new item plus a core charge on top????? Hard to imagine.

After ordering the new unit, the shipping date started to drift right every week with no sign of arrival. They also had obscurely listed an OE reman unit with the correct part number without a listed application, at several hundred dollars less AND no core charge so swapped to that. If you searched by car it wouldn't show and since my order has now become unavailable although the page still shows up. A short but spectacular life.

In passing, purchasing from the UK was always an option but finding the real item wasn't easy and core charges and freight made that option a bit to pricey.

Now the good news, that alternator shipped on 6 Jan from the US and arrived on my step on 8 Jan, only two days for half way round the world inc the clearances and at least a week earlier than normal express delivery times. BZ to DHL.
RS6 Alternator.jpg
Whats more, it's the real deal, genuine factory reman unit packed and sealed in Germany. Lots of words for a minor win but a nice bit of sunshine on an otherwise cold and boring summer day.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:11 am

Which US supplier did you use?

Now that the UK is struggling to source some stuff from EU places like Rockauto become an even more viable proposition. I already had to use them to get my Volvo alternator which wasn't available anywhere in the UK.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:37 pm

ECS tuning. I don't use them anywhere as much as I once did. Back in the day they were a great source of B5 RS4 bits even though the US never received that model. They went through a bad patch some few years ago and seem to be slowly pulling out of it. Occasionally you can get a really good deal but you do need to do the sums. I also use FCP euro and a few others. Boils down that ECS is a good source of genuine parts plus other brands whereas some of the others are only non OE parts. I have had to cancel a few orders in the last 18 months due to unavailability but overall I've had a good run with them and will always check them.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”