Bowers155
1st Gear

Re: Rs6 manual swap!

Post by Bowers155 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:05 pm

alfnomad wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:14 pm
Hi! Great topic! and GREAT CAR!!!

New on this forum... So a little bit about me:
Belgian (usuasly speak french, sorry if mistakes)
Working in IT/Networks
Petrolhead (fan of BBC TopGear& Amazon GrandTour)
Fan of the C5 platform, I used to have a 1.9Tdi AVG, then a 2.5Tdi AKN Quattro MT
And now... A wonderfull S6 c5 ANK
Just one problem... This is a f**** Tiptronic...

So I'am about to do the same as you, ordering this:
https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/pro ... sst385j2o1

at first I was thinking to reuse my old 2.5tdi gearbox... but I was affraid to loose acceleration...
The new gearbox will be in my garage in 2 mounth (boat shipping) whit a high bias custom 60/40 center diff

So I need some advices...

Mainly about the ECU software...
I have a true rosstech hex+can, a chinese Vagcom, and a probably chinese KESS V2
Is it simple to do the changes on the ECU? Can I do it all by myself?
Is it only a firmware flash of the ECU or I have to do the ABS/ESP Module?
If it's hard, is your solution expensive? could you please send me the coordinates of the "guy" who did it to your car??

Thanks a lot and... In french... Bonjour chez vous!
You’ll need k-line Chinese cable and mpps v16 for logging and mapping I’ll put you on to the guy I’m using as soon as I can confirm results!

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Thought I’d share what’s been going on...
So done around 300miles now everything feels amazing!
Also fuel economy has risen now I get decide what gear it should or shouldn’t be in...
Started logging data to start tuning about a week and a half ago and showed that one of my actuators (bank2) is either over adjusted (to much preload) or a pipe is leaking off pressure. Also turns out the car has been previously tuned! No record in service history and I’ve owned it some years now...
Pulled the ecu out and cracked it open to make sure there was no extra boards etc and refitted.
Proceeded to flash the manual file to the car and received this message :thumbsdown:
So software that is on there is stoping is from flashing over the top of it so the next step was to use mpps to try and read it and although they went to the hassle of stoping people wiring to it or over it you could still read it all off the ecu! Packed up for the night :boohoo:
Had to then pull the ecu and take the covers off the ecu to load it in boot mode for this I made up a little earth jumping cable like so...
Armed with my new boot mode cable and a few chosen items of kit I rushed home from work.
So proceeded to set everything up and plug ecu in with no covers over board and got it into boot mode several times trying to flash file with mpps in generic mode with tuners instructions and taking over with team viewer.
Ecu would go into boot mode but something was still not right. Next thing I removed dash from car and made a direct k line from ecu pin 47 to pin 7 on diag plug...
Proceeded with flashing and still not working so he’s said that who ever has had a stab at it before has got something wrong or there is something faulty with ecu.
I now need a new ecu! Alex the guy is a legend gone above and beyond... he’s pre flashed his file to a spare ecu he has and posted it out to me! Should be here tomorrow so can get on and tune it!
Car still runs and drive in the mean time so here is a rather sorry looking photo of her. :roll:

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Right so got my new ecu and well!
Check this out!
Abs etc all coded and drivability 100x better than before tuned with a manual file. Also got lunch control now so have that a bash and this was the outcome:
Not to everyone’s taste but also have no lift shift and crackle over run. Few more revisions for power after I’ve swapped out n/s actuator.
List of things to do:
-Reverse light switch
-foot rest
-raise rear suspension and alignment
- replace leaking new rocker cover gasket with another (sent another foc)
-put on more powder coated parts (y pipe and inlet manifold)
-get a date finalised with body Shop to have the paint done

Hopefully get the actuator and raise suspension tomorrow and give it a wash for the first time in probably 6+months :kissmyrings:

rs4wagon
3rd Gear

Post by rs4wagon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am

nice one mate!!You did great job.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Top work ! Makes me extremely jealous !

It's something I really want to do with mine !

ian_rs6avant
1st Gear

Post by ian_rs6avant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:14 pm

started stripping my doner car at last ready for conversion! Image

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Mine had a "secret" map too.
I feel your pain - I put mine into boot mode to rip the locked map (backup ;) ) - MPPS and all that jazz!
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

airtite
2nd Gear

Post by airtite » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:09 am

any chance you can PM me your tuners contact details?

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Hello all! Checking back in... well over 1000miles on the swap now. Been giving her some proper abuse plenty of launches here’s some videos of anti lag/ launch control plus a video of a launch :rocker:

https://youtu.be/1VodcOw_cOk

https://youtu.be/mWixl8USWqo

With all that’s going on in the world I’ve had time to sort the new private plate out too! Very pleased

I’ve also decided now I’m going to take it all back apart and do something completely insane and go big single turbo... Had some bits turn up already.. But with covid19 it’s been hard to talk to suppliers of the bigger things I need so this will be very slow from here on out! Some photos:

Decided to go with s8 manifolds and go a similar route to the 2.7 guys and just have a y pipe and have it mounted where the fake firewall part is.... getting a feel with a much smaller gt35 unit:

Should end up with either a custom fire wall or may just remove it completely! Until I get the collector and turbo it could be anyone’s guess!

jolio1994
1st Gear

Post by jolio1994 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:55 am

:D :D :D

Don't be a pussy! Run that <beep> straight out of the hood! We never got the wagon's here so I sold my RS6 I did a manual swap on and bought a C4 S6 Avant... swapped in the RS6 BCY with a nice 76mm turbo and matted it to the 5sp 01e transmission.
Image20200411_200249 by Joel Francisco

But seriously dude, this is awesome! Are you going to post a new thread or keep this one going with the updates for this beast?

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 pm

jolio1994 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:55 am
:D :D :D

Don't be a pussy! Run that <beep> straight out of the hood! We never got the wagon's here so I sold my RS6 I did a manual swap on and bought a C4 S6 Avant... swapped in the RS6 BCY with a nice 76mm turbo and matted it to the 5sp 01e transmission.
Image20200411_200249 by Joel Francisco

But seriously dude, this is awesome! Are you going to post a new thread or keep this one going with the updates for this beast?
Not sure I’m so keen on it all hanging out the bonnet! But yours is cool nonetheless! Police over here would have my pants down for something like that!

Not sure might just keep this one running maybe ? Who knows...

Gavinda
1st Gear

Post by Gavinda » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:49 pm

was going to ask who you used for the mapping , but now i see alex .. 'nubcake' Ftw. he is great to deal with.

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Hey guys long time no update, so I thought I’d share some bits.
Got loads of miles on the swap and not long after my previous updates I bought the turbo I’ll be using for the single turbo swap.
After that I decided motorcycles were more interesting and decided to buy a supermoto :lol:
So let’s fast forward 7 months and here is a comparison the gt35 in the last photos to the borgwarner s372 unit... with some photos of roughly where is will sit on the engine.
So about 6 months after turbo arrived... bought some other materials pie cuts etc
So last weekend managed to get the flanges cut of the d2 manifolds and tack the v band flanges on and bolt them up to the motor.
Over the next couple of weekend I’ll be removing the false firewall completely as cleanly as possible by drilling the spot welds so if for any reason the project stops it can simply be spot welded back in and painted.
Probably going to be very nerve racking because it’s going to be the point of no return almost. :roll:

Think I’ve pretty much worked everything out in my head and I’ll update as the parts come in. Wish me luck :bash:

Covkiller
Top Gear

Re: Rs6 manual swap! Single turbo sauce

Post by Covkiller » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:01 am

Great update. Keep up the good work :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Re: Rs6 manual swap! Single turbo sauce

Post by Foxmeister » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Not a big fan of the rotors, especially on a C5 but yours seems to pull them off

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, very interesting build

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”