4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Jayjay101
4th Gear

Re: Rs6 manual swap! Single turbo sauce

Post by Jayjay101 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:00 pm

Nice update mate! Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

LowSpeedLarry
Neutral

Post by LowSpeedLarry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Do you think the gt35r would fit without modifying the false firewall?

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 pm

Foxmeister wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm
Not a big fan of the rotors, especially on a C5 but yours seems to pull them off

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, very interesting build
Cheers dude wasn’t sure on rotors at first tried them on as they were on my friends d2 s8 and decided they suited the car.
LowSpeedLarry wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm
In short I don’t think it would. Unless you put a bulge in the bonnet maybe? My plan in to keep it as oem from the outside as possible. So without opening the bonnet you’d never know.

LowSpeedLarry
Neutral

Post by LowSpeedLarry » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 pm

LowSpeedLarry wrote:
In short I don’t think it would. Unless you put a bulge in the bonnet maybe? My plan in to keep it as oem from the outside as possible. So without opening the bonnet you’d never know.[/quote]

I’m curious because I’m considering an STK in conjunction with a ZF 8hp swap. The axles sit higher on that transmission and would interfere with turbos in the stock location. Like you, I want to keep it as close to OEM quality and feel as possible but don’t want to modify the false firewall. I think a pt6466 or pt6766 would work well on the 4.2 and fit under the hood if I use the 2.7 STK hot side with some modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 am

How would you get the ZF 8hp to work with the ECU/ TCU.

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 pm

LowSpeedLarry wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 pm
LowSpeedLarry wrote:

I’m curious because I’m considering an STK in conjunction with a ZF 8hp swap. The axles sit higher on that transmission and would interfere with turbos in the stock location. Like you, I want to keep it as close to OEM quality and feel as possible but don’t want to modify the false firewall. I think a pt6466 or pt6766 would work well on the 4.2 and fit under the hood if I use the 2.7 STK hot side with some modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure on dimensions of precision turbos. I was looking at 2.7stk but was advised against it. Can’t remember the actual reasons. Might be ok? But I still think you’ll have to mod the firewall as the 2.7 inlet manifold sits much further forward than rs6.

With the gearbox not sure on how that would work I’m sure someone can work it out or even use stand alone management for the correct signals the gearbox control module needs? Also axles are further forward? Meaning either bad axle angle or you’ll have to pull engine back in the vehicle more making the turbo even harder ? Either way would be epic if you could get it to work.

Tig welder should be here next week so can really get going. Hopefully can get the manifold built and the engine started with out cold side plumbed in.

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 am

Happy new year everyone! Went in on New Year’s Day and got cracking on the donor shell. Set about removing the fake firewall. Actually came out Easier that I every thought.
This was the point just drilling the spot welds:
Then removed it completely in one chunk.
Now you can see the lower shelf that the steering rack bolts to. I’ve cut the top part out with a grinder how ever on the actual car I will split this by drilling the spot welds and completely remove the top one. After this is done on the actual car not the donor I will weld in a bar over the mounting holes for the rack mounting points for extra strength. Although what I have removed so far is so thin I can’t see it taking to much away from the cars rigidity.
Next step get my old motor (seized bottom end) and drop that in the mock it up.
Grabbed the turbo and started playing around to see where turbo would sit making sure I had clearance for inlet exhaust ect:
Will have Aprox 2-3mm clearance from inlet manifold once all manifold parts are racked however may move the turbo more toward left bank to make that manifold runner clear the gearbox better.
Clearance on the bonnet it great too! Could even bring it up a little worst case to get the manifold runners smoother!

Going to weld a bracket once I’m completely satisfied with the location and I’ll begin to tack the manifolds together.

jolio1994
1st Gear

Post by jolio1994 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 am

These are exciting times dude! I can't wait to see how this all goes together! Looks like there's just enough room.

tumppim
Neutral

Post by tumppim » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Nice project! I understood that you changed the G28 crank sensor while engine was still in the car. I am in the same situation now. Sensor is loose, but it won`t come out because the turbo outlet is in the way. Did you rotate the compressor housing to make more room? If yes, how did you able to loose all compressor bolts? It seems impossible to reach all those compressor bolts.

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 am

tumppim wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm
Nice project! I understood that you changed the G28 crank sensor while engine was still in the car. I am in the same situation now. Sensor is loose, but it won`t come out because the turbo outlet is in the way. Did you rotate the compressor housing to make more room? If yes, how did you able to loose all compressor bolts? It seems impossible to reach all those compressor bolts.
This was on manual trans. Has more room that auto... if yours in manual you’ve just got to have patients it will come with a wiggle and a twist.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:36 am

skippyxc90 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Hey there, anyone has rs6 manual transmission swap, searched all the web couldn't find anywhere.
There's plenty on the USA forums, only a few this side of the pond.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:36 pm

Haven’t bothered with this, I’m sorry for that guys! Thought I’d just let everyone that was interested it’s still ongoing. Also now tuning the single turbo stuff. Done 30 or so miles on the single turbo set up now… loads to do yet but it works. Very messy at the moment. @bowers_rs6 for regular posts and updates.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue May 10, 2022 1:18 pm

Nice to see this is still ticking along !

Would love to manual mine but just to costly for me :-(

Felix2566
1st Gear

Post by Felix2566 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Just been reading through this thread, do you still have the car and how is the conversion holding up?

Bowers155
1st Gear

Post by Bowers155 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:25 pm

Felix2566 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:47 pm
Just been reading through this thread, do you still have the car and how is the conversion holding up?
Yeah, all good! Drove it to lemans and back done thousands of miles on it now works great!
Blow thru maf still needs a little work or possibly replacing to make that perfect. Currently got another engine waiting on the time to get to building it up. Would like to take the time now to tidy it up when I swap the motors over now the proof of concept is there.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”