Boost Leak advice

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Puggie
3rd Gear

Boost Leak advice

Post by Puggie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:37 pm

So, after getting the old girl back on the road it appears I have a boost leak. f power is fed in nice and progressively such as leaving a junction, then I get a lovely brisk torquey shove. If you floor it at 50mph and let the box kick down the acceleration is somewhat lacklustre and I can hear a whooshing that sounds like precious pounds of boost being wasted to atmosphere! I've also noticed a bit of a part throttle farty squeak noise on occasion.

During the rebuild:
turbos were overhauled and given 360 thrust bearings
intercoolers had new Pace Products cores welded in.
SAI was filed under the bench in a dusty corner and the ports blanked off
The skinny boost hoses were quite rotten so generally binned and replaced with reinforced silicone

DVs, PCV and all solenoids were left as before. I think the boost issue may have been present before coming off the road, but the line to one of the waste gate actuators had split when we dropped the engine. I have a set of bits of my other engine (damaged bore and valve) to swap with but I know the quality of neither set, it all look old and OE to me.

So where should I start, are there easy functionality checks I can do on all the valves and solenoids (would be easy to do on the second engine parts)?

thanks

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Boost Leak advice

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Pressure test the intercooler and hoses. I’ve seen the case where a pin-hole in a boost hose opens wide under pressure.

If you’re hearing the boost escape then it shouldn’t be too difficult to locate.

Also, log the MAFs when boosting to rule out a turbo imbalance.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:32 pm

will have a play this evening. don't suppose you know which measuring blocks I'm looking at for measuring boost? I assume I want:

MAF raw values
requested boost pressure
measured boost pressure

and see what matches up and what doesn't!

got a coolant leak too, but I'll start another thread for that.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Groups 002 and 115 will give you that info. Log in turbo mode.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”