C5 RS6 Plus Review

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mark-RS
4th Gear

C5 RS6 Plus Review

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Just watched this. Didn't think the review was all that bad. Thought I'd post a link for anyone with a few mins to spare and looking for something to occupy themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsSWODeRT0
Last edited by Mark-RS on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: C5 RS6 Plus Rview

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Yeah, not bad. I disagree with a couple of things. He's making out the Plus to be more different to the standard than it is. The springs are 10mm lower (maybe not on all - no cost option?) but the rate is the same IIRC. The DRC is identical. The other one he drove must have been a dog if he could tell a difference in handling.

Also the engine makes exactly the same sound. No extra "whooshing" on the standard model.

He was wrong about the wing mirrors. They are exclusive to the RS6. The S6 ones are chromed, not brushed aluminium.

Red and black are probably the least common standard colours. Probably Avus is the most common, followed by Mugello then Daytona. Maybe Daytona more common than Mugello, thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm nit-picking. Still a good review. Makes me want to find those roads. Another thing I disagree with... The RS6 loves those sweeping country roads.

Oh yeah, worrying that the plaque is missing. That's very odd for an Audi car. I wonder if the original trim was walnut and they changed it to carbon fibre. It's definitely a Plus, though.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Since I have no experience in a Plus, I wasn't so sure about the differences, but I did wonder about the DRC set up. I also thought aside from a difference in ride height, they were pretty much the same.

Also with the Turbo noise, I get that in my regular car, so wasn't sure if it was more pronounced in the Plus ?

What I enjoyed most about it was the fact he just took it for what it is. An older car ! I watched a CarWow one a week or so back about the C6 and all he kept saying was how bad it was compared to the C8 he had just driven. Well clearly ! That's progress for you ! Review the car for exactly what it is.

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 pm
Yeah, not bad. I disagree with a couple of things. He's making out the Plus to be more different to the standard than it is. The springs are 10mm lower (maybe not on all - no cost option?) but the rate is the same IIRC. The DRC is identical. The other one he drove must have been a dog if he could tell a difference in handling.

Also the engine makes exactly the same sound. No extra "whooshing" on the standard model.

He was wrong about the wing mirrors. They are exclusive to the RS6. The S6 ones are chromed, not brushed aluminium.

Red and black are probably the least common standard colours. Probably Avus is the most common, followed by Mugello then Daytona. Maybe Daytona more common than Mugello, thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm nit-picking. Still a good review. Makes me want to find those roads. Another thing I disagree with... The RS6 loves those sweeping country roads.

Oh yeah, worrying that the plaque is missing. That's very odd for an Audi car. I wonder if the original trim was walnut and they changed it to carbon fibre. It's definitely a Plus, though.
Yeah I know thread resurrection sin. Sorry :).

The topic picked my interest since I've both. My opinion is:

- You can most definitely tell the difference in the suspension. The plus rides the turns better, but it's more uncomfortable.

- Correct on the wing mirrors. The S6's are chrome and nowhere near the look of the RS6 ones, the grills are also different, so are the bumpers and the interior trim, which is not at all the same as the carbon look on the RS6

- Agree on the engine noise, particularly the "woosh". They're pretty much identical

Additionally in my opinion (or at leat the ones I own):

- The gear change is much more agressive on the plus

- Throttle response is sharper on the plus

- Steering is sharper on the plus

- My favourite: the plus gets a lot closer to the 320 (kmh) bit on the speedo :P

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: C5 RS6 Plus Review

Post by Shoppinit » Fri May 29, 2020 8:44 am

Gearboxes and TCUs are identical though. Maybe the different torque curve makes it feel more aggressive.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:44 am
Gearboxes and TCUs are identical though. Maybe the different torque curve makes it feel more aggressive.
Yeha. Could well be that one of the boxes is on its way out. The plus feels more agressive, particularly on the upshift.

audi_driver79
4th Gear

Post by audi_driver79 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Dont know why the placque is missing in that as its part of the Audi heritage fleet its been used in numerous press photos and I met the guy driving it at AITP 3 years ago. Mega low miles but it looked like it needed a good detail.
C5 RS6 Avant Mugello Blue, Koni Yellows & Original Springs.
1997 Audi Cabriolet 1.8 for when its Sunny!
2005 A2 Storm 1.4tdi 90bhp.

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:31 pm

audi_driver79 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 pm
Dont know why the placque is missing in that as its part of the Audi heritage fleet its been used in numerous press photos and I met the guy driving it at AITP 3 years ago. Mega low miles but it looked like it needed a good detail.
It'd be the first thing I'd be trying to replace honestly. IIRC the number is the last 3 digits of the VIN number.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”