Remanufactured Calipers

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Remanufactured Calipers

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

I was just wondering if heatshrink goes down enough - good to know.
And yes, my pad guides were seized in.

Your approach is probably very pragmatic and would have saved some £. I just felt the todo list is big enough "as is". :D
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:14 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 am
You going to sell up then? :thumbsdown:
Who me? Never. I'll be the last one standing. There can be only one!
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ian_rs6avant
1st Gear

Post by ian_rs6avant » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm

BCS are local to me but they seem very jit and miss with turn around times which worries me, but pleased to see the quality looks good.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 pm

^That rings a bell now you mention it. Thought I'd heard of them. I now remember some mixed feedback on the forum.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ian_rs6avant
1st Gear

Post by ian_rs6avant » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 pm
^That rings a bell now you mention it. Thought I'd heard of them. I now remember some mixed feedback on the forum.
seen it on a few various forums, seems some people have had waited up to 10 weeks.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 pm

I couldn't really fault the service I got, I'm happy.

As Nobby notes, I could have done the mechanical refurb myself and save a few £, but I have the car in so many bits as it is right now, that I chose convenience this time.

ian_rs6avant
1st Gear

Post by ian_rs6avant » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 pm
I couldn't really fault the service I got, I'm happy.

As Nobby notes, I could have done the mechanical refurb myself and save a few £, but I have the car in so many bits as it is right now, that I chose convenience this time.
I'm in the same boat, cars in a million pieces, not be far of a bare shell by weekend! hopefully start going back together in new year ready for April.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Just a quick update on this. Now I've taken a close look at everything, I'd describe myself as "OK" with it all - but not amazed. For the money, I was expecting a little more - but then, I do try to pay particularly close attention to detail that I doubt most people do.

Worst bit - one of the blead nipple threads had a bit of swarf in and they'd wound the nipple down on it - damaged the bleed thread so new nip needed. Thread in the casting cleaned up OK though with a tap - but not sure why I'm having to do that!
Another one still had some shotblast debris in and was a little tight - needed running through with a tap to clean out as well.
The bolt on bar that goes across the caliper - there's paint in the thread meaning the bolt doesn't go in cleanly. Annoyingly it's an M9x1.0 thread - which isn't so common - tap on order
I also think they should supply stainless bleed nipples and rubber caps - they're just plated ones which are fine - but I was kinda expecting rolls royce.
The paint job on the exernally visible surface is very nice - however, round the back the coverage is a little more iffy.
Finally, they didn't paint the ABS sensor wire bracket. It's directly bolted on to the back face of the caliper, and was delivered that way. Feels a bit cheap that they removed it and didn't paint it. I guess I'll rattle can it.

Anyway, conveniently, the "How did we do" survey arrived yesterday avo, so I've written all the above in the survey. Either way, it's fine, but I just kinda expected a bit more for the £.

Usually, I figure you can get any 2 out of the 3:
* A good job
* A quick job
* A cheap job
I'm not sure we were quite on target this time.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Useful review. :thumbs:

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Stainless nips in an aluminium casting are likely to sieze in due to galvanic corrosion. I went with BZP 'speed bleeders' in mine. I also ended up having to helicoil my outer bleed nips when I DIYd mine.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Agreed...but....I'll pop a sniff of quicksilver perfectseal (that I use on the boats in similar situations) on the threads and all will be fine. And the mild steel ones had seized in anyway.
I will have to google speed bleeders. I hate bleeding brakes - do speed bleeders help?
Puggie wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Stainless nips in an aluminium casting are likely to sieze in due to galvanic corrosion. I went with BZP 'speed bleeders' in mine. I also ended up having to helicoil my outer bleed nips when I DIYd mine.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Ooo! Is this them? https://www.demon-tweeks.com/stahlbus-s ... lve-245978
Sounds like a great upgrade, might have to do that.

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:02 pm

I bought goodridge ones, short m10x1.0 and m10x1.25 for the helicoiled one iirc (I bought std length first which looked too long... I bought a few before getting it right.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 pm

85 pounds is a bit steep for easy bleeders.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Has anyone here tried http://www.biggreddemo.auto-guru.uk/ ?
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”