New owner questions

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

New owner questions

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:02 am

I put up my intro post a few weeks ago and added a few questions. They seem to have been missed in the "general excitement" so can I ask again. For me at least they are of interest and I'll bet there are people on here with the specific answers. I know my way around the B5 RS4 and the things that you might do but the BCY engine is still new to me.

Has anyone removed the oil water cooler and installed a remote oil filter housing? Superficially the Bufkin mod should then become redundant and oil changes a whole lot easier but open to experience on this. I have yet to find anything that seems an ideal remote filter housing either. Is this a Recommended, maybe or don't idea?

The car came fitted with the RNS-E Mk1 (or two). Great piece of kit for the age but the books with the car are for the previous navigation system plus. When, if ever, did this system come with the RS6, in particular a 2003 model? Further reading suggests it was never available on the RS6 and I have yet to confirm if it is a Mk 1 or 2. It does read a 2GB SD card if that means anything.

Is the Transgo valve worthwhile for the RS6? Transmission has no codes and drives just fine. It has been serviced but no records of any mods to it.

and another one. I'm assuming that any ECU upgrade should also have a TCU upgrade applied as well. No doubt there are many hidden pitfalls in this, anything to look for and what to stay away from.

All responses appreciated. It's only up from here.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

RS62njoy
Neutral

Re: New owner questions

Post by RS62njoy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:04 am

The remote oil filter is one of the mods I want to do on mine. I'm pretty sure it's been done before. Let's see what others have to say.
I have an RNS-E too on mine but can't tell if its mk1 or 2. I have the book for it if you need any info from it.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:54 am

The RNS-E was installed in the Plus versions and later RS6 when the RNS-D ran out. Plenty of people upgraded from D to E, too.

If you modify the ECU, the TCU needs to be modified to at least prevent it from hunting between 4th and 5th because of the excessive calculated torque.

I have heard of fudges within the ECU to send altered values, but I’d be wary of this solution.

Dunno about the other questions.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:53 am

RS62njoy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:04 am
The remote oil filter is one of the mods I want to do on mine. I'm pretty sure it's been done before. Let's see what others have to say.
I have an RNS-E too on mine but can't tell if its mk1 or 2. I have the book for it if you need any info from it.
If I don't get a iron clad solution for the remote filter then I'll be watching you with great interest. It seems like a no brainer to sort out the oil / water cooler and the awkward oil filter but it doesn't seem to feature in comments.

Mine is a 2003 model so I would expect that it got the RNS-D, which is what the manual in the wallet is for. I haven't yet completely identified which version of the "E" it is though. I have downloaded a close to 200 page electronic manual and yet to conform which version that is for too.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:58 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:54 am
The RNS-E was installed in the Plus versions and later RS6 when the RNS-D ran out. Plenty of people upgraded from D to E, too.

If you modify the ECU, the TCU needs to be modified to at least prevent it from hunting between 4th and 5th because of the excessive calculated torque.

I have heard of fudges within the ECU to send altered values, but I’d be wary of this solution.

Dunno about the other questions.
Of the 26 or so RS6 that appeared in Australia, I haven't yet seen one with an RNS-E, albeit that could happen tomorrow for all I know. Just with the small numbers, not many would invest a few thousand more to upgrade the nav system.

Thanks for the ECU / TCU info. The reason seems obvious but largely appears to be missing from most blurbs about the upgrades. Just a matter now of finding a good tune.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:11 am

Does your rnse have a CD/TV button or a media button?
The model number should be on the top of the unit if you take it out.
If it ends in 192 it's mk1, 193 is mk2.

Mike

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks, it has the CD/SD button so the earlier version. As far as music goes it is great but I've added a TomTom for navigation. Made a custom mount and just have to fit it as soon as I get back home.

RS62njoy
Neutral

Post by RS62njoy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am

Well, getting the oil feeds out of the engine block seems to be the easy part.... https://store.034motorsport.com/oil-fil ... lange.html...
I think that locating the relocated oil filter would be the real challenge in our cars

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 am

RS62njoy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am
Well, getting the oil feeds out of the engine block seems to be the easy part.... https://store.034motorsport.com/oil-fil ... lange.html...
I think that locating the relocated oil filter would be the real challenge in our cars
Well, I did contact 034 weeks ago and got this response "I was just told that we do not have confirmed fitment for that part as it is listed mainly for the D2 A8s. If you wish to purchase to see if there is a way for it to fit, I'm happy to help."

As you can see, the manufacturer cannot confirm fitment for the RS6. Personally I would expect that it would fit however I haven't tried so there may be an issue that I am totally unaware of. Location location, you'd think you were buying a house. I haven't got to the point of that either and I don't have any suggestions right at this moment.

As an outsider, the concept of removing the primary oil cooler and relocating the filter seems sensible but aware that there can always be someone who has already taken the step and found it flawed.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:47 pm

RS62njoy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am
seen it done where the SAI pump was.
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

jolio1994
1st Gear

Post by jolio1994 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 pm

034 is only to be used on 32v. They state in a question it cannot be used with the 40v. What extra provision the 40v has I'm not sure, but if it exist for one I'm sure it can be modified and adapter to the other.

Strangely enough, I was looking into this last night..

RS62njoy
Neutral

Post by RS62njoy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm

jolio1994 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 pm
034 is only to be used on 32v. They state in a question it cannot be used with the 40v. What extra provision the 40v has I'm not sure, but if it exist for one I'm sure it can be modified and adapter to the other.

Strangely enough, I was looking into this last night..
Watching the pic of 034 looks like something home made could be fabed out of steel plate or aluminum.
Relocating the oil filter and maybe a bigger oil cooler looks like a logical thing to do since heat is so strong under the hood and the factory location of the oil filter is so close to the exhaust header.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

I have that plate for my other V8 motor. It fits the older cartridge style oil filter motors and allows you to have a remote fiter. Not sure it would fit the BCY though.
The other option I've seen done on the ABZ is to put a thread in the block to mount a fitting. 1/2" BSP
It's here although photobucket have messed the images up.
Not sure I want to accidentally get any swarf in a "live" engine though from putting a thread in.

Anyway, once you've "done the Bufkin", it doesn't feel like a problem to keep the oil=>water cooler? Saves having to replumb the whole system.
Oil changes are no biggie - you just put your arm in through the wheel well if you really don't want to take the tray off. Personally I always take the tray off to give everything a "looking at" anyway....
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Found the pics of the ABZ. Here you go....
Attachments
IMG_0476750x562.jpg
IMG_0478750x562.jpg
IMG_0482750x562.jpg
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:16 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm
I have that plate for my other V8 motor. It fits the older cartridge style oil filter motors and allows you to have a remote fiter. Not sure it would fit the BCY though.
The other option I've seen done on the ABZ is to put a thread in the block to mount a fitting. 1/2" BSP
It's here although photobucket have messed the images up.
Not sure I want to accidentally get any swarf in a "live" engine though from putting a thread in.

Anyway, once you've "done the Bufkin", it doesn't feel like a problem to keep the oil=>water cooler? Saves having to replumb the whole system.
Oil changes are no biggie - you just put your arm in through the wheel well if you really don't want to take the tray off. Personally I always take the tray off to give everything a "looking at" anyway....
Thanks for that, it is all slowly becoming clear. I had heard that the oil / water cooler was prone to leaks and have seen that a number of people have replaced theirs relatively early in the cars life. Getting rid of the Bufkin pipe issue seemed useful but as always there was the need to check if there were any flow issues by adding a length of hose into the equation.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”