DAB aerial location - options?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
E42
Neutral

DAB aerial location - options?

Post by E42 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 am

Hi, next week’s task for my long suffering mechanic is fitting a Pioneer head unit with DAB antenna and reversing camera. I’d rather avoid putting the antenna at the top of the screen, I think I read on an old thread that it can be placed on the top of the glovebox, does this sound possible or have I dreamt it? Any advice much appreciated as always, thanks!

Dom

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Re: DAB aerial location - options?

Post by Mark-RS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm

I put mine on the metal bar running across the glovebox. Box itself is covered in wooly matting, so unless you peel a bit off, it won't stick. Box drops down easy enough so it's a quick job :-)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm
I put mine on the metal bar running across the glovebox. Box itself is covered in wooly matting, so unless you peel a bit off, it won't stick. Box drops down easy enough so it's a quick job :-)
What's reception like?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

E42
Neutral

Post by E42 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply

Dom

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm
Mark-RS wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm
What's reception like?
No issues at all. I use Google Maps for any long journey and it's never let me down, never not connected and only ever lost GPS in tunnels.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 pm

What about DAB reception, though?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Banana man
1st Gear

Post by Banana man » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 pm

How about adapting a oem aerial to work with the element on the back screen?

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 pm
What about DAB reception, though?
Who listens to radio these days ? :P

Spotify ! Nothing else.... Didn't even connect the DAB ariel, it's still in the box.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 am

Did you misread the title of this topic?

Banana man, I think that’s worth a try but the antenna is plugged into the diversity unit and that’s a royal pain to get to, at least on the Avant - it’s behind the roof lining IIRC. Can’t remember where it is on the loon.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 am

Only think I can add is that I replaced the aerial on my saab 9-5 aero estate. It's in exactly the same location as on the Audi and in the case of the saab, once I'd removed the rear pillar trims, it was easy to get enough movement on the roof lining to slide my arm in and replace the aerial. Not tried it on the audi, though.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 am
Now I feel stupid.

Anyone got a cold dark rock I can crawl under ? :boohoo:

Banana man
1st Gear

Post by Banana man » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm

What about one of these to replace the GPS aerial if you’ve got one? I’m not sure on the type of hole that’s in the roof for it already but even though I’m not a fan it’s probably be less noticeable in real life.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3612380909

Banana man
1st Gear

Post by Banana man » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 am

Banana man, I think that’s worth a try but the antenna is plugged into the diversity unit and that’s a royal pain to get to, at least on the Avant - it’s behind the roof lining IIRC. Can’t remember where it is on the loon.
On a loon it’ll most likely be behind the c pillar trim, and tbh that’s probably worse as mine just wouldn’t come off when I took the headliner out to re glue it :lol: well not in one piece anyway.

I know on the c6 when adding DAB you just tap onto the connections on the glass edge, I read of someone using a conductive glue, depending on how the diversity unit behaves you could just piggy back the FM aerial maybe? Is the aerial in the rear quarter glass on the avant?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am

I'm pretty sure that the diversity unit only responds to information from the OE head units. If you use an aftermarket one, the diversity unit is useless. Might even be worse than useless.

On the avant there are loads of antennas with amps on the rear windows. Might be a way of tapping into the amplified signal before it goes to the diversity box.

Banana man
1st Gear

Post by Banana man » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Yea I was referring to if the diversity unit is on constantly which could hinder the DAB signal if you was trying to use the same element on the window.

I’d be inclined as you say to piggy back off the fm element and tuck everything behind trim keeping the car oem looking.

I would say, you soon get used to the windscreen mounted aerial though, but admittedly I didn’t fit it on an rs6 so I didn’t really care :lol:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”