Air con fault

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Human Joist
3rd Gear

Re: Air con fault

Post by Human Joist » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 am

Are you thinking that it’s may be at fault. From a search it appears to be an integral part of the compressor 😣

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah, my gut feeling is that it's the compressor, but would be good to get positive confirmation.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:11 am

You should check that the voltage is actually getting to the N280. You can unplug the connector and use a multimeter or bulb to check that voltage is getting there. There's very little electrical information I can find on the N280, frustratingly, so I don't know whether the signal is a simple on / off or a PWM or similar. A multimeter might not give conclusive info. If you have a silly scope then that would be ideal. If not, then you can wire up a bulb or a LED so at least can see if something is getting there.

Also, check the colour of the wires of the connector going to the N280. It's a long shot, but it's not impossible that someone mixed up the connectors of another device if the engine was out at some point.

The N280 is replaceable on some compressors, but I bet you a beer that it's not on the one in the RS6.

/Again, if someone could check the current draw on theirs, that would be ace. I'm not in a position to check my car at the moment.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:29 am

I wonder if the restrictors fail on these. Looks like a passive device. I don't really know what its purpose is.

I guess that if it was the restrictor, you should still see some activity from the compressor. Do any of the AC lines get warm / cool at any point around? you can feel around with your fingers or use a thermal cam if you have one. Maybe a pyrometer if you don't have a thermal cam.

Might be worth replacing if you drain the system at some point, as a precaution.

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Will check and get back to you mate while we wait for someone to check their car. Really appreciate your help bud

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Although I’m presuming I will end up with a new compressor the way it’s going 😂

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Any progress?

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Not yet mate. Been at work the last couple of days then just booked a holiday to zante leaving day after tomorrow . I’ve got a few weeks off work after that so will have the time to look then.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Cool. I should be able to help by comparing values on mine then. If I can get the Vagcom to talk to the hvac which hasn’t happened for a number of years. :-/

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Sorry for delay on this. My dad died not long after the last post and I kind of neglected the car then garaged it for winter. Got it back out the other week and had a play. Have now changed the cambelt and water pump and at the same time found the compressor clutch had seized and was well past it’s prime. So chucked on a new compressor at the same time. Had it regassed and it’s working. Only thing I have noticed it’s takes about 4-5 minutes to get properly cold in the current weather. Not sure if that’s as it should be or is there something else I’ve missed.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:19 pm

I’m sorry to hear that. :(

It takes a while to get nice and cold if you are not driving and there is little airflow over the condenser.

The filter / dryer could be borked, especially if the system hasn’t been gas tight.

If it gets proper cold after driving for a bit I’d say it was working ok.

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Cheers mate

The system was air tight and held pressure as I had to empty it in the approved manner of cloth and screwdriver and press val e trying not to get frostbite.

So was only devoid of gas for a few days while I did the belt. Will see how I get on over the next few days.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”