Car struggled on first start up.... but just once!

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
PipRS6
2nd Gear

Car struggled on first start up.... but just once!

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am

Hi all

Bit of an odd one.... a few days ago I started my car up and it was all over the place. I wasn't anywhere near the throttle but it was reving up to 2k and then dropping down to almost stalling. I gave it maybe 10 seconds to sort itself out but it didn't so I turned it off, started it again and it started up fine, and has done every time since. Any one have any suggestions?
The only thing I have done different recently is filled up with Tesco 99 because the Shell near me has closed for refurb. It is mapped on V Power so that's all I use normally. But I haven't driven it hard since that fill up so I can't believe that's the cause!
Any and all suggestions welcome!

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Re: Car struggled on first start up.... but just once!

Post by Ben_r1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

It can’t be the fuel otherwise it’d be persistent fault, from what I hear of late Tesco is better than vpower anyway...

I don’t know what could cause it specific to this vehicle but if I had to hazard a guess? Had a similar thing a few years back with a Clio 172, it turned out to be the idle control valve trying to recalibrate with every new start which led back to an intermittent TDC sensor fault.

Vag Com will be your best bet, scan and see what codes are there relating to potential idle issues.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Mine very occasionally has a spaz where it’ll rev too high after starting. It’s done it twice or 3 times since I’ve had it. IIRC there was a fault code for comms between the ECU and TCU. No MIL since it didn’t reoccur. Next start was always fine.

I think that occasionally at startup the CAN bus trips over itself.

Having said that, I only ever had fast idle when this happened not hunting so your cause may be something completely different.

See if there are any fault codes.

No separate idle regulator on the RS6. The ECU does it all.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

No fault codes other than the SAI one which is always there.... I wouldn't say it was hunting as such, it was revving high and then spluttered and dropped down and nearly died and then straight back up high again. Did that twice but otherwise it was just high.....

I will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. But otherwise I won't worry!

Banana man
1st Gear

Post by Banana man » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:47 pm

How long was it before it was started previously? My s4 had been laid up for a fair while and coughed and spluttered until it bled of air and the injectors cleared themselves, fine afterwards.

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am

Banana man wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:47 pm
How long was it before it was started previously? My s4 had been laid up for a fair while and coughed and spluttered until it bled of air and the injectors cleared themselves, fine afterwards.
Parked up the evening before and this was first start the next day. Its my daily so gets driven plenty.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”