Low water level sensor

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
ahoooga
5th Gear

Low water level sensor

Post by ahoooga » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Silly question, which I will probably answer with my own post.

Wheres the 'low water level' sensor fitted ?
I have the 'yellow radiator gushing radiator' symbol come on the DIS intermittently when driving now. i do have a small leak anyway, which I'm aware of.
So, the symbol lit up, so i stopped and checked the header tank, put in about half a pint of water to reach max level and carried on, except this time, the warning light stayed on.( in the past it always goes off after topping up, and is pretty reliable as to whether I need to top up).

Stopped a mile down the road again and checked, but level was still on max mark. Engine hadn't even reached normal temp gauge mark at this point.

Believe it to be the sensor at fault, as normally it goes off after I top the header tank up. Have since discovered that it usually comes on when braking, as though the level sensor is at the back of the header tank. It goes off after a few more mile, then on braking again, it comes on.
Its only been a yellow light so far.

so basically , where is this sensor, and how easy is it to change ?
Thanks in advance

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Re: Low water level sensor

Post by Ben_r1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 am

They’re usually in the bottom of the header tanks.

Perhaps your cars fed up of waiting for you to fix that coolant leak so is throwing a wobbler

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am

Sounds more like the washer fluid warning light you're getting. The coolant level warning is red.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 am

This! I made exactly the same mistake a few years back, including buying myself a new header tank & sensor. DOH!
Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am
Sounds more like the washer fluid warning light you're getting. The coolant level warning is red.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am
I have seen the washer bottle warning lamp a few times before, but as soon a sits stops raining, i will go and check the washer bottle.
The irony is, every time its lit up before, I've topped the header tank, and the lights stayed off ...... but I will hold my hands up if I'm wrong this time :bigblink:

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 pm

It seems the symbol I'm on about isn't the same as in the owners manual, as luck goes, the symbol wont light up until i go on a journey so I couldn't get a picture of it.
However, i did get about 1 gallon into the washer bottle, and the capacity in the book says 4.7litres.

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm

So , i got a picture ( forgot I can do a self check).
shops reply prompted me to rtfm, and I get conflicting info from the handbook.
What i see on the DIS is
DIS.jpg
When i look in the handbook, the individual symbols show the following for washer bottle low,
manual 1.jpg
But looking further up the page , the example shows the washer bottle low
manual 2.jpg
I'm sure I've seen the symbol the handbook shows in the past for washer low though !

I'm guessing Shops correct , and I made the same error as MattV8, so Hands UP , I'm a tw*t :assflash:

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 am

Does anyone know what this one is? I'm getting it come up every time I put my foot down :bigblink:

P.S I had the same thing, but not on my car. I serviced a friends car years ago and panicked when the light came on after changing the oil lol
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 am

At least you sanity checked it before you bought a new header tank.
I've got a spare header tank now. :biggrin3:
ahoooga wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm
So , i got a picture ( forgot I can do a self check).
shops reply prompted me to rtfm, and I get conflicting info from the handbook.
What i see on the DIS is
DIS.jpg

When i look in the handbook, the individual symbols show the following for washer bottle low,
manual 1.jpg

But looking further up the page , the example shows the washer bottle low
manual 2.jpg

I'm sure I've seen the symbol the handbook shows in the past for washer low though !

I'm guessing Shops correct , and I made the same error as MattV8, so Hands UP , I'm a tw*t :assflash:
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”