Lots of exhaust condensation

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Lots of exhaust condensation

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:03 pm

I’ve been battling my Milltek recently as at first it was blowing where it meets the cats so was removed to clean and seal that then we couldn’t for the life of us get the N/S tailpipe to sit square in the bumper.

Anyway it was sussed in the end but resulted in the system being removed a handful of times. What I noticed is that there’s an incredible amount of water stored up in the exhaust system. At one point we tipped the entire system upright and a good pint came out.

Just this evening I removed the tailpipes to polish up and even then could see lots of condensation in the rear boxes.

It’s completely clear and odourless and I’m not losing any coolant or smoking when the engine is running. The car has been sat for near 8 months and only occasionally started to shunt it around too.

Cause for concern or just needs a good run?

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Re: Lots of exhaust condensation

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Think it needs a good run. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that if it's not given a good run that often and the oil is not getting up to a decent temp, then condensation can even build up in the block ? If it can build up in there, then surely exhaust would be the same ? I use mine daily, but only work about 10 mins from my house, but on the way home I take a detour pretty much every day and can often take 30 mins or so to get home, just to get things all warmed up....

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Lots of exhaust condensation

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 am

lots of water produced during combustion. It’ll condense and collect if the exhaust system doesn’t get hot enough for long enough. Nothing to worry about. It’ll work it’s way out on a good run.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”