Gearbox Oil

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RS6Rottweiler
2nd Gear

Gearbox Oil

Post by RS6Rottweiler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm hoping for some help from the experienced guys who have changed the oil in their gearbox, Transfer boxes and Differentials. I've read the info available on the FAC Thread regarding the various types of oil to use for a gearbox oil change but wanted to see which oils people prefer to use and also how much oil do you need for the following:

Transfer boxes
Differentials
Gearbox?

I believe that the Transfer Boxes and Differentials use SAE 75-W-90 (synthetic) and the Gearbox uses Audi/VW Oil No: G052162 A1 / A2 / A6 or ZF No: S671090170.

Regarding Gearbox service kits do you stick with OEM or is there any good aftermarket kits available? Likewise do you need any service items if your changing the oil in the Transfer boxes and Differentials?

Lastly is there any pitfalls to look out for when doing these jobs or any good advise from any of you would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nobby
Top Gear

Re: Gearbox Oil

Post by Nobby » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 pm

For gearbox I've stuck with OEM filters, bolts and seals etc.. with Pentosin ATF fluid. Diff oil I've used Audi stuff (something like a litre is enough but I'm sure someone will be along with the exact measurements. I've not actually change my rear diff oil yet. Might do it in the summer.

One things for sure, gear oil always stinks! make sure you don't spill any on your overalls (or the driveway). Its a smell that lingers. For gearbox oil, just be careful, follow the instructions and try really hard to keep everything as clean as possible.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”