Maybe new beginnings of an old venture .

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Puggie
3rd Gear

Re: Maybe new beginnings of an old venture .

Post by Puggie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

MattV8 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 am
Carbon kevlar undertray FTW. Carbon - because carbon. Kevlar because it's bullet proof.
Or actually all kevlar.
Or even just a well made & trimmed GRP one.
Flax based composites are the way the industry is going with this kinda thing these days. Tough like aramid/Kevlar but environmentaly friendly as it is biodegradable (the resin is still a petrochemical abortion for the environment) I guess very few of us bought RS6s for their environmental credentials :smile_smoking:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 am

Yeah, but I don't want my RS6 biodegrading. It's not a 1980's Lancia. :biggrin3:
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:11 pm

The standard air inlets do my head in. Everytime you need to get the airbox off you remove the jubilee clips and then the silver plastic bits need prising out. They also collapse when done up too tight and deform when you slot them into the bit above the radiator.

I quite like the airbox though and it'd be a shame to get rid of a big bit of carbon. Perhaps something that means you can mount the MAFs into the inlet and detach the airbox instead. It'll mean less chance of damaging seals and ruined the MAF plugs.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm

I have heard of people leaving the screws out of the maf sensors on the airbox so you can remove them without disturbing mag sensors.

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Nobby wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:11 pm
The standard air inlets do my head in. Everytime you need to get the airbox off you remove the jubilee clips and then the silver plastic bits need prising out. They also collapse when done up too tight and deform when you slot them into the bit above the radiator.

I quite like the airbox though and it'd be a shame to get rid of a big bit of carbon. Perhaps something that means you can mount the MAFs into the inlet and detach the airbox instead. It'll mean less chance of damaging seals and ruined the MAF plugs.
an inlet revamp is high on my list of things too look at , I'd like too possibly find a way to retain the original air box lid and front engine cover . I've seen peoples attempts at intakes and it leaves the engine bare and looking very ugly indeed . I want too avoid this of possible , with regards too the mafs the set up I'm looking into will have the maf cores directly into the new inlet removing the plastic housing altogether, though I'd like too look into a maf set up using the stock box that would allow for easier removal and refit , we all know the pain of reseating those damn things .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Puggie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am
MattV8 wrote:
Carbon kevlar undertray FTW. Carbon - because carbon. Kevlar because it's bullet proof.
Or actually all kevlar.
Flax based composites are the way the industry is going with this kinda thing these days. Tough like aramid/Kevlar but environmentaly friendly as it is biodegradable (the resin is still a petrochemical abortion for the environment) I guess very few of us bought RS6s for their environmental credentials :smile_smoking:
Is this what BMW did with the boot floors on the m3? .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Billy_G
1st Gear

Post by Billy_G » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:00 pm

I'd be very keen on tubular manifolds if these become available, very interested to see what you turn out!
Daily beater, Daytona Avant, MTM stage 1 & box map, wagners, bilsteins, hotchkis arb, milteks, Girodisc stoppers etc

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Ajc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 pm
Puggie wrote:
MattV8 wrote:
Or actually all kevlar.
Don't think so, it's pretty new use of pretty old tech. Prodrive used it for the new aston martin GT4 rear wing, I think britcar are making it mandatory for splitters and wings to replace carbon.

From the stuff I've laid up, it's not as stiff as carbon as thin sheet, not quite as strong, but has better bounce against knocks and dings. I reckon it would make a more resilient undertray than carbon. If I have some left after this job I'm doing I may try making an undertray with some.

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Puggie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm
Ajc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 pm
Puggie wrote:

Don't think so, it's pretty new use of pretty old tech. Prodrive used it for the new aston martin GT4 rear wing, I think britcar are making it mandatory for splitters and wings to replace carbon.

From the stuff I've laid up, it's not as stiff as carbon as thin sheet, not quite as strong, but has better bounce against knocks and dings. I reckon it would make a more resilient undertray than carbon. If I have some left after this job I'm doing I may try making an undertray with some.

I know what you mean about full carbon not being a good move for an under tray, as you say it wouldn't look pretty for very long at all .
Kevlar may also be a good shout in the mounting points and sump area . If you do get a chance too have a play with an under tray chuck some pics up .
Is the flax a pre preg style material or is it dry ?
Cheers Al

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

The flax is dry (it's by a Swiss company B-Comp) but we get it pre-preg'd by SHD Composites. I'm going to have a play with the dry stuff and their 'power ribs' stuff, that needs to be vac infusion I think, but I know of one company using it instead of carbon as it's holding up to impact much better.
I'd rather use pre-preg you get a much stronger part (105psi instead of 15psi consolidating your fires) than vac infusion and its a lot less messy. The flax works very similar to Kevlar/aramid in my limited experience. I will have a bash with it, but it will be July time before I get chance.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”