Fuel Pumps

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Re: Fuel Pumps

Post by Classik » Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Exactly what I was looking for to get the full picture! Shopp already provided the second one :
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 21, 2019 7:45 am

Yeah, so you can see that if there's a failure with the PCV valves then you could easily get some cross talk between the banks 1 and 2 inlet at the compressors. Same for the N80 / ACF circuit Where did you find a French version of that document?!
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 am

Yes, exactly! I also think the blue non return valve on the first pic may also need some attention. As per this vendor on eBay, it is well known for failing : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SK ... 2950924975

Full French version is here :http://www.forum-audi.com/topic-237-aud ... esses.html
Loads of useful and detailed information about the car, with very clear explanations and pics!
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 21, 2019 8:39 am

Classik wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 am
Yes, exactly! I also think the blue non return valve on the first pic may also need some attention. As per this vendor on eBay, it is well known for failing : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SK ... 2950924975
Huh. Interesting. Think I'd stick with OE, personally, so as not to multiply the unknowns.
Classik wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 am
Full French version is here :http://www.forum-audi.com/topic-237-aud ... esses.html
Loads of useful and detailed information about the car, with very clear explanations and pics!
Cool. Thanks. PDF here:

http://docplayer.fr/79306165-Service-au ... terne.html
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 am

Great, thanks! And well noted your recommandation to stick with the OE version. :thumbs:

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri May 24, 2019 10:16 am

Just received the parts today, namely PCV valves (034129101C) & non-return valve (035103245A) so I started to unmount all those hoses for proper clean-up.
Look at all this crap, no wonder the engine was not happy:

Hopefully I should come back shortly with good news. Otherwise I'll have to open the intake manifold to change the jet succion (venturi) pump and clean-up the mess..

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 pm

That looks like your car’s been smoking 80 a day for the last few years.

You got service history for it? Has it been serviced on mineral oil?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri May 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Tell me about it! Unfortunately no, I don't have the full history. I can only say that since I have it (2 years by now) it has been only treated with 5W40 either Castrol Edge or Motul 300V

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Well, I was expecting to come back with good news, but even after cleaning the hoses, changing the PCVs (034129101C) & non-return valve (035103245A), I still get the same MAF discrepancies. :boohoo:

As shown by this small extract from a log tonight (still some traffic so couldn't push the engine), the discrepancy can be as high as 100% difference. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 25, 2019 6:18 am

Looks like it’s under all boost conditions, too. I’m assuming the turbos got spooled up somewhat.

Things left to try/possibilities:

swapping MAF connections L/R to eliminate wiring / ECU.

N80 non-return valves

Wastegate pre-load balancing

Smoke / pressure test

Exhaust / cat blockage

N75 plumbing / hoses

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 25, 2019 9:33 am

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you Shopp, very grateful, although I must confess I'm getting VERY frustrated about all this.
I'll follow your list and report accordingly! :thumb:

Regarding the turbos, I don't know how important that may be, but during my last VCDS log I also checked the Boost Pressure (specified) and Boost Pressure (actual) values. Very surprinsingly the former value (specified) [edit : almost] always stays constant (1000mbar) whereas the later follows the car boost. To my understanding the specified value is the target which should be followed as closely as possible by the actual pressure, am I correct?
Last edited by Classik on Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the boost. The actual should always follow the specified as closely as possibly. Obviously, sometimes it takes time for the turbo to spool up so you can't get the specified boost very quickly at low revs, for example.

Can you post up some logs of your boost, specified and actual against rpm?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat May 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Here's an extract of the measurements. I need to check if there is a 'fast' mode for the measurements sampling rate on the mobile version of VCDS as the time resolution is quite low...

Please remind me not to post too quickly and double check my findings first :oops: Actually the specified boost is not always constant as I thought initially but almost always constant except when pressing real hard on the pedal (full throttle in the above case for the first bump). What surprises me most is the second bump on the graphic ^^ where you can see a decent (actual) pressure increase with barely any changes on the specified boost. Is that the normal behaviour?

BTW, if we can trust the values, the graphic says the max measured (actual) pressure is around 1900mbar which sounds quite good to me. Could that rule out any air leak, at least up to where the pressure sensor is (=just before the throttle body)?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 am

There’s a bit of a lag after the request for full boost. Might be normal. Hard to tell from the scale of the time axis.

The blip where the revs rise but the demand is zero is a bit odd. Could point to sticky waste gate / incorrect pre-load. Or it could be a normal occurrence. I’ll check my old logs.

Actually, you can see that the request does rise slightly. I bet that your sampling rate is giving a granularity that doesn’t show the peak demand at that point which is probably much higher than the graph shows. You need to sample in turbo mode.

Certainly the graph doesn’t suggest a massive boost leak, but those turbos can move a lot of volume so a leak big enough to cause mixture issues might not be obvious. Also, your problem could easily be an internal leak so that total volume of air is metered, just going to the wrong bank.

Remind me what your trim values are doing?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”