Fuel Pumps

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Fuel Pumps

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Huh. Not much left to replace! Maybe blocked radiator then.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Sure, not much left to replace indeed! Blocked radiator, you mean like enough dirt in the radiator to block the coolant? Wow... Maybe a way to confirm this would be to take the radiator temperature at different spots, using a thermal camera for instance ?
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Or just remove the rad and flush it with tap water. Your way sounds a bit complicated, but fun.

If you mix silicate based coolant in with the OAT stuff then I believe it can solidify. Or sometimes rads just block up.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Ha, glad to hear you like my way ! But truth is that the latter I can do by myself, not the case with the simplier approach where I need a car deck (-> my mechanic).
Wouldn't the water pump make some unhappy noises of some sort?
Last edited by Classik on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:49 pm

No, I don’t think so. Funnily enough the water pump on my Rangey has just failed and the pulley is wobbling and spewing rusty water all over the engine bay. Not making any noise though.

Do the camera thing - I’ll be interested to see - but I’m not sure how easy it will be to interpret the data if you don’t have a good one to compare to.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Classik wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am
Oh and I did suck on hose 32: when the sucking is small air is passing without resistance, but when sucking is harder - :oops: can't say it better with my poor English- some valve must be triggered as air is blocked and vaccum is corrected kept.
I’m curious about this. Did you suck on them engine cold or hot. The hypotheses are getting wilder as the leak proves more and more elusive, but maybe the anti-return valve(s) start to fail when they get heated up by the engine?

Or maybe the ECU policy is not to open the N80 until the engine is up to temp...

What did we decide about the SAI flying saucers? Working or not. I think you said there was no air to be sucked through them?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm
I’m curious about this. Did you suck on them engine cold or hot. The hypotheses are getting wilder as the leak proves more and more elusive, but maybe the anti-return valve(s) start to fail when they get heated up by the engine?
Or maybe the ECU policy is not to open the N80 until the engine is up to temp...
Sucking test was done cold, but it would be clever indeed to try when engine is hot. Elusive is a nice way to put it; I must confess I'm loosing my head and faith with this stuff. I'm close to burn the car (but no worries I'll save my MTM wheels for you for all the help provided ;)).
Can't comment on the ECU policy, maybe there's a way to log the N80 against coolant temp on the VCDS, will check that.

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm
What did we decide about the SAI flying saucers? Working or not. I think you said there was no air to be sucked through them?
Yes, when engine is cold there's no way to push or suck any air through these, they're kind of like blocked both ways, with a membrane plop in-between. I probably need to try the same test when engine's hot for the same above reason. Some serious sucking party coming up tomorrow (if time allows)!

Many thanks again!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Thought any more about getting some of that ignition retardant spray from Audi /VW?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm
Thought any more about getting some of that ignition retardant spray from Audi /VW?
Definitely on my to do list if time allows before taking some vacation with the family. Looks like this will be with the wife's Peugeot this time.. :?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 pm

205 GTi?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I'd love that, but you're not that far from the truth : a 208 with a whooping 68HP engine woohoo! :sleeping_2:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Going anywhere nice? Paris plages?

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:59 pm
Going anywhere nice? Paris plages?
Much further west, in Brittany, the kids love the place! ;)

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 am

As a last attempt to avoid the Peugeot punishment, what do you guys think of those radiators cleaning fluids. Of course they require a full coolant flush after the fact, but at least that's quite easy to organise.. Except spending money on snake oil, any risk for the engine, seals, hoses?
Last edited by Classik on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:02 am

I don’t think it will do any harm. It’s the leak stopper that you should never use. You might be able to get at the lower hoses of the rad to try to flush and back flush with a garden hose pipe.

Still, seems odd that a modern radiator would get blocked.

What is your oil temperature doing?

If you start the engine from cold and stop it after a couple of minutes, before the temp gets past 75 degrees, is there a sign of pressure release when you open the expansion tank? Before you do this test, release any pressure from the system by opening the expansion tank. This job would be more pleasant with an R8 coolant cap. Just sayin’.

Close it again and let it get up to temp, check for cold spots where you can all the while. Might be a good time to try with your thermal cam.

/I’ll do the same with mine later to try to get a base line to compare to.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”