Window mechanism

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
V!per
3rd Gear

Window mechanism

Post by V!per » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 am

OK looks like my driver side gave up today.
Not 100% sure what yet but just can't pull them all the way up with about 10mm gap left. Goes all the way down btw.
Anyway - is tat a whole mechanism out or can be fixed on the doors. any rivets ??

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Window mechanism

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am

Have you tried resetting the controller? Open the window and keep holding the down button for a good 10 seconds after the window is in its lowest position. Then press up and hold it 10 secs in that position. Or the other way round, I can't remember.

If it's a mechanical issue then you'll have to replace the regulator. Given the amount of faff to get to it, I'd go with an OE replacement, but that's up to you. Door card has to come off and glass out, but it's just like most cars in that respect. THere's a video floating around of someone doing at least the door card removal on an RS6.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks Shop
Will check the reset but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the mechanism as I can here some weird noises inside the door that was not there yesterday. will have a lookaround the net. Doorcards are pretty easy. Fingers crossed it'l be straight forward fix.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am

The weird noises are probably the cables crunching and you will need rivets.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:36 am

If it's anything like other Audis of that vintage, and the window mechanism needs replacing, it's easier to replace the whole upper door frame, typically just held on by 4 bolts.
Did a rear door on my D2 S8 not long ago (shattered upper pulley), and in summary:
Door card and trims/fittings off, disconnect wiring, handles, door seals etc.
Undo 4 bolts and lift off entire upper door frame including window glass, guides, drive cables and motor.
Swap motor and glass to replacement frame, check alignment of glass and refit.
Adjust and test, refit seals, trims and door card etc.

You'll need to take the door card off first anyway to see what's wrong.

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:34 pm

If it helps I still have an offside door in Mugello with all the window mech intact (I think , I can check if necessary) I’m in Bedfordshire if you are nearby?

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm

So just had a little play with it and it looks like the line has snapped. after few attempts of resetting with holding the button. tried pulling it up gently as it was closing. managed to get it to about 95% closure and then it stopped winding up completely. And I was able to drag it fully up - was not able before. Window now does not react at all for the button, can hear the engine and some wire munching inside.
So can I replace the line or still need the full kit.

@pete62 - I'm in South Bucks but if I struggle to get this done might pop in grab the frame off you. I do have double glazed windows though but swapping it is not that bad :)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:47 pm

You need the whole regulator. eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Win ... Model%3AA6

/But like I said, OE is a much better bet.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:49 pm

If you have twin pane glass you have to get it from Audi / TPS
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129626&p=898649#p898649

A few pics of when I did mine.

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

RESULT. Finally got some time and got around to get this sorted :audibash:
In the end I Was able to get it done by replacing just the wire.
Didn't need the whole mechanism. Cleaned everything and sprayed some teflon grease all over so hopefully it'll last a while
:biggrin3:

:kissmyrings: :nogarors4:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Nice. Where’d you get the wire?

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 pm

:thumbs:

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Well my drivers side has just broken again :( The genuine one i fitted lasted 8 years (seems to be the life span of these) might try cables this time as i have twin pane and regulator only available from Audi / TPS. I'd love to compare the twin pane to standard as i think the only difference would be the plastic clip that the glass sits in as it must be thicker. The part number is the same except the last letter.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”