Cam belt pricing and parts

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Foxmeister
4th Gear

Cam belt pricing and parts

Post by Foxmeister » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Having never done this before as it's my first 6, I know it requires a bit of extra work when it's getting done though and want to check with correct parts that nothing has been missed and that pricing is around what it should be

First quote is as attached with genuine parts, anything missing that should be on there?
image1.jpeg
Also, pricing is over 1600 inc vat, expected around 1200-1400 but I expect I won't be seeing the discount from any parts here

I have a 2nd quote coming so will see how much that works out compared to this one but more about wanting to be sure all parts that need done have been included rather than missing any simple bits etc

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Cam belt pricing and parts

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Thermostat?

I put up a complete list of the necessary parts for the job in my cambelt DIY. Check the FAQ innit.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:33 am

When I did mine a few months back TPS did a timing belt kit which worked out a lot cheaper than buying the bits separately. Still had to buy the tensioner, pump and thermostat as separate items though. I paid less than £500 for all the parts listed in your quote but I do get trade discount. You might want to get an auxiliary belt to but at nearly £90 from TPS I went with a Gates one from local parts Shop at £16.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:17 pm

So add in a thermostat and auxiliary belt also, and look into TPS for pricing, am I likely to get it cheaper than above or is that only with trade accounts etc?

Ok, so at over 1600 quid, does the pricing look Ok?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Seems pricey. When I priced up the parts at Audi a few years ago it came to £900 without any discount. My Audi dealer offered me a 10% discount on top.

£435 for the cambelt stuff
£310 for the aux belt stuff
£153 for the water pump and thermostat stuff

That's everything for the job including nuts and bolts that need to be replaced.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:07 am

Cheers Shopp

Thought it was a bit pricey myself, so I'll see what the other quote comes in at first before deciding, still waiting

Is it worthwhile doing cam chain tensioner also when belt is being done? Seeing some stories of these letting go, or is that a seperate service item?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 am

If you were going to do the cam tensioner anyway then doing it at the same time as the timing belt makes sense, but other than the timing belt removal, there's not much overlap in the tasks. Have you got any cam chain rattle?

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:49 pm

This I'm not sure off, what will I hear???

I did notice one morning sitting in the golden arches of all things fattening, I could hear a slight bit of rattling echoing back from the wall, only seemed to happen with slight revs, around 2k maybe, nothing else higher or lower, but it seemed a one off, should I be worried?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm

They all do that.

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:39 am

Really, what is it? Did have a squeaky bum moment when I noticed it!

It's done about 85K now so is it not worth worrying about cam chain tensioner?

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 pm

You might aswell change the coolant while your at it - G13. Something like 10 litres needed but think the guides show the exact amount.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Nobby wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 pm
You might aswell change the coolant while your at it - G13. Something like 10 litres needed but think the guides show the exact amount.
Cheers but that's already listed in the original quote as the water pump is getting done at same time

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”