Persistent Battery Drain - any fresh ideas ?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
vrlife
Neutral

Persistent Battery Drain - any fresh ideas ?

Post by vrlife » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:11 pm

RS6 has a persistent 2.9A drain on the battery, measured with an ammeter at the battery.
Spec is (it should be) less than 0.5A

It will run flat overnight unless kept on charger
Pulled all the fuses in the side panel - no difference

Whether locking or not car it's still there, all interior and door lights are off
Pulled all the stuff on the cig-lights, and Radio/Nav RNS-E .. but then they're on the fuse panel anyway

Pulled all the relays under the drivers kick panel - no difference
Pulled the ECU (as much as can with half the connector effectively welded on) - no difference

Gave it to experienced Audi Dealer with veteran tech - no clue.

What am I missing ? (apart from 2.4A ...)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Persistent Battery Drain - any fresh ideas ?

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm

That’s a big drain. Even 0.5A is a lot.

Check the 200A fuse to see if it’s swimming.

Maybe disconnect the alarm siren from the boot area.

Is there any aftermarket gear installed in the car? What’s the head unit?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Does the battery lose charge when disconnected from the car overnight ? ....I'd do this to rule out the battery being on it's deathbed.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 pm

If he’s measured 2.9A drain then there’s definitely an electrical problem somewhere, regardless of battery health.

Having said that... OP, have you measured the drain 10 minutes after locking the car?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

vrlife
Neutral

Post by vrlife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 am

It is not a self draining battery.

After turning off the car the drain is 3.5A
The drain of 2.9A is there 10mins after locking

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 am

:shock: , that's a hell of a drain . I take it you've gone through the fuses pulling them out one by one whilst watching the meter ? .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 am

Is there an old tracker secreted somewhere?? I know it should have it's own battery but....

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 am

I had a similar level of drain on mine when I first had it. It was traced to an old tracker. If they're over 10 hen their own battery will be dead by now in all probability.

vrlife
Neutral

Post by vrlife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Ajc wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 am
:shock: , that's a hell of a drain . I take it you've gone through the fuses pulling them out one by one whilst watching the meter ? .
Did I mention "Pulled all fuses on inside door panel", think I did but not sure if it was clear.
Also said "Pulled all relays under driver kick panel", if that was next on your list to ask

vrlife
Neutral

Post by vrlife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:19 pm

srichards wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 am
I had a similar level of drain on mine when I first had it. It was traced to an old tracker. If they're over 10 hen their own battery will be dead by now in all probability.
Tracker ? WTF kind of tracker are we talking about here ? GPS + Cell like Lowjack ?

FYI : have pulled the old navigation unit, installed RNS-E but have verified both of those get zero battery when side panel radio fuse was pulled

So where was your tracker, and what did it look like ?

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 pm

vrlife wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:19 pm
srichards wrote:
Tracker ? WTF kind of tracker are we talking about here ? GPS + Cell like Lowjack ?

FYI : have pulled the old navigation unit, installed RNS-E but have verified both of those get zero battery when side panel radio fuse was pulled
If the onboard battery in the tracker is toast then the it may be constantly throwing current through it depending on how clever the charging circuit is on it . If it's an old style one with a lead acid battery ,probably not very clever at all . I found 3 in mine when I stripped it for paint . It hadn't had the Bose amp messed with and changed for an aftermarket one has it ? .
My guess is that its gonna be something aftermarket that's causing the drain , or as Shop said . The 200 under the coolant tank may be swimming . Could also be an alternator fault too .
Last edited by Ajc on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Oh and the three trackers I found were in the boot space behind the trims in various locations. Usually a black metal case with a long aerial hanging out of them and 2/3 wires on them . Check in around anywhere that power is easy too siphon off from . Installers are usually too lazy too run a long feed too them , so cig lighters are a favourite area too find them .
Cheers Al

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am

vrlife wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:19 pm
srichards wrote:

A tracker brand tracker. No clue where it was or what it looked like. My Indy found the drain and disconnected it. I'm assuming it's still physically on the car.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”