Gearbox Woes

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Wishiownedone
Neutral

Gearbox Woes

Post by Wishiownedone » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello all!

First post here so whilst I'm expecting to be seen as newbie forum fodder, please don't go too hard on me!

A bit of history first - I spent almost a year ogling C5 RS6s and contemplating the possibilities of buying. During that time, I spent some quality time browsing the huge amount of information here as well as elsewhere. My handle is based on the fact that I'm monumentally indecisive which coupled with a relatively rare car meant I thought I'd never get one. That said, I did! I made what I thought was a solid purchase (with the full expectation of having to spend some $$) in November - actually an ex-forum car!

Anyway, long story short, the gearbox went bang a couple of weeks ago. Given that this is clearly a huge job, what I'm also keen to do is make sure I get anything that might be useful preventative maintenance done now. For example, the turbos have gone away to be rebuilt and I'll have the cambelt changed (due in Nov anyway). The advice I was really hoping to get from you guys is a list of other possible point of maintenance. I've got a couple of ideas (Exhaust Manifold gaskets, Engine and Gearbox mounts, Exhaust Manifold inspection) but I'm looking to build a list. I've asked for the same from the garage, just don't want to miss anything so looking for specific components/seals/anything to inspect.

The car is currently remapped to 550 but I'm looking to have it detuned to standard whilst having the secondary airpump deleted (gearbox was rebuilt 20k miles ago and then remapped so I guess there's a possibility that that was a contributing factor to failure!).

Anyway, that's a whole load of stuff! I'm sure there'll be loads of questions, and I'm sure one will be pics or it didn't happen. Will share once I have the car back!

Thanks in advance...

V!per
3rd Gear

Re: Gearbox Woes

Post by V!per » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Oil cooler pipes and check the steering rack and pipes for power steering as well. Also alternator - can get away with a refurbishing as well

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:16 pm

FON

This question has been answered a multitudes of times in the past. If you have a search you'll probably find it. If you do I'll stick it in the FAQ.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Wishiownedone wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:48 pm
The car is currently remapped to 550 but I'm looking to have it detuned to standard whilst having the secondary airpump deleted (gearbox was rebuilt 20k miles ago and then remapped so I guess there's a possibility that that was a contributing factor to failure!).
Just drive it sympathetically. You might be glad of all that power one day.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Wishiownedone wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Just drive it sympathetically. You might be glad of all that power one day.
^^^This.

May as well go hard or go home when the engine & 'box are out. Do the preventative work mentioned plus the Bufkin mod, then hybrid turbos & race dp's :nodder:

You don't want to be bullied by RS4s now do you.

FON

Wishiownedone
Neutral

Post by Wishiownedone » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve had a search and found some bits and bobs so I’ll aim to make this comprehensive and chart my thoughts. Maybe that way it can become an faq if it becomes useful.

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Why do you delete the secondary air supply pump system, is there a benefit to be had?

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Yeah, the wanky electric air pump fails sooner or later. It provides no benefit other than in the first 1 minute after start, and it's easy enough to code out and remove all the gubbins while the motor is out.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”